Thursday, August 12, 2010

Serge Lutens Datura Noir: Review

As I was sifting through my little hill of samples yesterday unable to decide what to wear for the day, I found this old forgotten beauty, Serge Lutens Datura Noir.  I could not remember what it smelt like and why it was in hiding. I quickly sprayed it on my wrist to test out what it is like, then the tuberose hit me. I figured out that was the reason for its exile, it was so floral that it tingled my nose.

But then the magic started to happen, the intoxicating, heady florals transforms into something exceptional, so delicious but inedible. I want to say creamy but it is more velvety, soft and dense, it is a beautiful combination of coconut, almonds and tonka bean. There is also a 'happy' element of the mildest of citrus notes which makes me smile. Tuberose and white flowers which are the heart, soul and base of the fragrance are present throughout and not lost anywhere. I am not torn between the two, the florals and the creamy notes are blended seamlessly well. Lasts for some hours in same dose!

One unique thing about this fragrance is that it is constantly changing. Some of the notes emerge from time to time, to stand out more than the others, it matches the current morphing weather of Adelaide from winter to spring! It's been chilly and breezy with the Sun peeping out every now and then which is a warm welcome amidst the gloomy winter. The light creaminess is just right for the chill and the white flowers unfold when it is bright and sunny!

This stunner as I understand is not for all round the year, it needs a mood and a weather to go with it. But it is making me smile in the last couple days.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of your best reviews, loved reading it!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo coconut I think I would love this one, well done darl your review was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mel, it is perfect creamy coconut, very warm and gentle. You'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete