Thursday, September 9, 2010

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes

I have never smelt anything like this before! I am not the one to like fresh fragrances but this has left me dazed! Wow, this one is such a crisp, refreshing fragrance that instantly revives the mood. It is a green-floral-woody fragrance to sum it up.


There is something very transparent about it that reminds me of monsoon, maybe walking in the mango groove in drizzling rain. Though it is the smell of the garden on the river Nile (that Jean-Claude Ellena conceptualised, an interesting story) I can relate to the monsoon-mangoes scenario better.

The opening is very exciting, a blast of freshly squeezed grapefruit along with the greenness of its rind. Then comes the most beautiful mango I have ever smelt, it is green, raw, unripe mango that is sour and bitter but not sharply acidic. I think it is this mango that gives an edginess to the perfume. Then comes the some spice, soft floral notes and the lotus stands out, so effervescent and light. The lotus is slightly floral, slightly aquatic, like the freshly cut stem of lotus than the actual flower itself. The drydown is woodsy and slightly incense-y. By the whole description, it may seem cold and lifeless, but it has a slight touch of warmth to it, given the spices and the woods in the dry down and the very vivid life-like citrus opening.

When was trying to find the notes for the perfume, I was a bit shocked, it does have the grapefruit, green mango, lotus and woods but to my surprise, there is a tomato, carrot note in the top notes! I cannot even imagine for those to be there. Only goes to show how lay my nose/brain is!

It is marketed as unisex and I can definitely picture how well it would smell on a man. I will happily be wearing the 2 ml sample that I have through this spring and it does last quite some hours, can't say the same as the days get hotter though. As it is a Hermes, I expected it to be quite pricey but Strawberrynet has a 50 ml for around $75 which could make a great gift to myself!

7 comments:

  1. Tomato and carrot... how strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you made it sound like something I really wanna try! Wonder where I could sample it from - would it be in the department stores? Certainly more affordable than the scents I've lusted after recently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strange Dee, I can't for my life smell it!

    Melbournite, I buy all samples from www.theperfumedcourt.com I bought this as a carded sample. You can buy decants of almost all perfumes there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting mix of notes; I've always been curious about Hermes fragrances :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stefanie, it is my first Hermes, looking forward to try more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh mango now your talking gal, this would suit me just fine to compliment my tropical lifestyle up here in the northern sticks of Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely tropical delight Mel! Where you live is not northern sticks though, more of a paradise :)

    ReplyDelete