Wednesday, December 22, 2010

BPAL '10 Weenie: Ghoulish

I am probably a season too late to review this Halloween perfume since everyone is talking about Yuletide perfume oils, which I totally missed. I am wearing Ghoulish today and it put me right in almond state of mind, which could be festive I guess!







Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Ghoulish
This season's Ridiculous Scent! Creepy like Creepy and as spooky as Spooky, this is the scent of a black cherry and coconut amaretto confection gently laced with saffron.
Silky almond veil wrapped around the body, bliss! The almonds are bitter almonds, not the creamy sweet kind but it smells intense and deep. It also has a hint of boozy quality which could be the amaretto. This is mellowed down by creaminess of coconut. I can't smell fruit of any kind which is a good thing as I have seen that the fruity notes of BPAL turn syrupy on me. It dries down to a beautiful bitter almond scent which is unmistakable foody!


What made me wear Ghoulish today was Benzaldehyde! I have extremely dry skin, which cannot be fixed by even the most moisturising of the body washes. In fact they leave me drier, even the soap free ones. I have switched to DermaVeen Shower and Bath Oil which has worked wonders for me and my Baby Elephant. It is an oil that I replace the shower gel with. It is non greasy, can be washed off with warm water in the shower and cleans very well. I can even skip my body cream if I am lazy.
About the smell, it is fragrance free but Benzaldehyde is one of the ingredients that is good for skin. Benzaldehyde is an aromatic compound that I very well remember admiring in my chemistry lab around 10 years ago. Benzaldehyde smells distinctly of bitter almonds. The benzaldehyde makes the fragrance free DermaVeen smell like bitter almonds! This is what made me to wear BPAL Ghoulish today!




Speaking of almonds, I have recently discovered another great product, Burts Bees Almond Milk and Beeswax hand creme which has lovely creamy sweet-almond smell and oh so nourishing!

4 comments:

  1. Ghoulish didn't work for me at all, but Noodles loves it and it's one of the ones she picked out so it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Ghoulish too - it's a really unusual scent. Also adding the BB Almond Milk hand cream to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee, I'm glad that Noodles likes it :)
    Stef, I'm sure you'll love Burts bees hand creme, it is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. swallow's nest in an edible gel form is supposed be good for the skin too. it gives that clear and pasty skin that we all love.

    it's mad expensive. my brother and i bought some for my mom for her birthday. it was like 400 bucks for like a 6-8 oz jar. Luckily we finally found the one of popular brand online (hongkong-bird-nest.50webs.com/index_e.htm and http://www.euyansang.com/)

    dad said it's really popular in indonesia. that a guy has to climb a high mountain to get the nest. that's why it's so expensive.

    i mean why doesn't the dude just look for the fabled korean swallow king, capture it and let it lay eggs full of gold! then, he wouldn't have to work so hard and climb them high mountains.

    ReplyDelete