Saturday, March 12, 2011

Guerlain: The Exclusive: La Petite Robe Noire and the Candies!!

Guerlain is my favourite perfume house. I admire their vintages, enjoy the modern ones and ADORE Shalimar for life!! I don't believe that there is anything like Shalimar in the whole universe. I can wear it everyday, all my life. Why I keep smelling other things is beyond me!
Advertising at Guerlain Counter
Myer, Sydney
I was at Myer today enquiring about the release of the newest version of Shalimar, Shalimar Initial. No news on that but I spotted the latest fragrances from The Exclusive Collection, La Petite Robe Noire 1 and 2. La Petite Robe Noire 1 was released way back in 2009 and the second one is released this year, 2011. This collection is inspired by the Little Black Dress. So, expect it to be modern, stylish and chic. 

This collection is exclusive to Myer Stores. The whole ad campaign is really pretty. There is a tiny little wardrobe with tiny little LBDs hung on tiny little hangers, tiny little black stilettos, a tiny little parasol... OK I'll stop saying 'tiny little'... It is all so cutesy! 
The tester strips are made of fabric with the Guerlain logo and come with tiny little black envelopes to keep them in.

I tested both today and here are my thoughts of the collection. Both the perfumes are full on gourmands. Both are housed in Guerlain's signature style flacons, bringing to mind, L'heur Bleue and Mitsouko with same hollow heart stopper. These two scents are comparable to the newer Guerlains like L'Instant and Insolence, only the sweetness is taken to the next level.

La Petite Robe Noire 1
Notes: Lemon, Liquorice,  Almond,
Smoky Tea,
Musk, Vanilla
La Petite Robe Noire 2
Notes: Galbanum, Bergamot, Lemon,
Iris, Orange Flower, Marshmallow
Leather, Musk
La Petite Robe Noire 1: At first sweet lemon, then very sweet liquorice jumps on you. It is not just a gourmand, it is a syrupy gourmand. Tastefully made buy too sweet. It has hints of smokiness, tea and almonds but somehow lost on me.

La Petite Robe Noire 2: I like this better than the first. It is fresh to begin with. The green notes of galbanum add a nice refreshing feel. The gourmand-ness is in Marshmallow. It is soft and nice. The flowers are powdery. It feels pink! The dry down is also nice. The leather is more like suede and fades away into musk. It is almost like the first one, a pre- teen has 'grown up' to become the second, a teenager, within the time of two years!

When most people say 'this perfume is so good that I can eat it', they mean figuratively. But right now, I am really eating the fragrances, in a candy form!! The candies are flavoured with the fragrance!! The black one is the liquorice one and the pink is the marshmallow. 

The candies, the tester strips and the envelopes.
The pink one smelt good but the black one was very yumm!! I think it like the perfumes itself, the black one more edible than pink and the pink is more wearable! But when fragrances can be converted to candies, is it a good thing?

Overall, I am a little disappointed. The words 'cute', 'little', 'pretty', 'candy', 'sweet' should give you an idea of what these fragrances are about. I think they are 'celebrity' sweet which aim at a younger population. The first one is younger than the second. The term 'modern' is lost in translation to become a syrupy gourmand. This is coming from a lover of all sweet fragrances!! I don't think I'll be shelling out $180 for a 50 ml bottle anytime soon.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! Looks like it is just another set of sweet fragrances. Hard to believe, it being a Guerlain and all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the candies! Nice idea though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, thanks for sharing. I too might want to eat the fragrance candies. Come visit my blog.

    http://blog.cinderellasclosetnyc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, it has the vibe of newer Guerlains but just too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cinderella! Thanks for the comment. I just checked out your blog. It is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, I think I'd like the first one, mainly because I have a thing for liquorice in perfume <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jade, if you like liqourice, try this, a tad sweet but nice =)

    ReplyDelete