Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nocturne Alchemy: Desire of a Queen and The Netherworld

Just playing around with Nocturne Alchemy....


Desire of a Queen
Arabic woods, Cognac, Egyptian Oud, Raw Teak, Musk of the Nile
This was a limited edition perfume oil from "The Scents of the Dead" 


When I smelt it first, it was fresh and green. It was a very familiar smell. It smelt something like soap. Very masculine. I liked it. It took me while a to place it, but it smells exactly like the good old Brut Cologne! This is one of those perfumes where the association is so strong that the smell goes beyond the notes. I can't really pin point any of them.
Needless to say, it would smell great on a man. I really like it on myself but I am not sure if I would wear it often. 


The Netherworld
Resins of Benzoin, Benzoin Tincture, Styrax Tonkinesis, 4 Peru Balsams - 1 of Peru, 2 of India and 1 of El Salvadore, Amber, NA's Vanilla Resin, Patchouli, Organic Sea Buckthorn, Heliotrope 
and Labdanum. 
This is from the limited edition NAlloween '08: created for Halloween '08.


OMG, very impressive notes, with all those resins I love! In the bottle, it smells of boozy benzoin. On my skin, it smells beautiful! Warm vanilla with lots of rich amber really highlight the benzoin. It dark and very deep yet very comforting. It is just right in heaviness for me. I can't stop sniffing wrists!
It also has a kind of "oldness" to it. Can I call it musty? Not really. It is not wet, it is kind of like dry dust. The website says that it ages beautifully. My bottle is 3 years old. The oil itself is dark brown in colour and I can see that the bottle needs a quick shake to make the brown fluid uniform. I think this changes the way it smells too. mixing it makes the warmth of the amber come through better.
Overall, this is amazing! I really like the deep and rich resins. I think this bottle is a score!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review, reviewing scents must be difficult! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vintage! Reviewing scents is always my pleasure but sometimes it is hard to find the right words :) So glad you like it! x

    ReplyDelete