Friday, June 17, 2011

Aftelier: Amber EDP review

Labdanum is one of those wonderful notes that wraps your body like cashmere, both soothing and sensual. Labdanum is like being a man's arms on a cold night in front of the fireplace, the warm cuddles that is just turning into something more!

Labdanum is a resin that is extracted from a Mediterranean flowering shrub, a species of Rockrose. Labdanum is rich, soft, vanilliac, warm and very much like Amber, only smoky, bittersweet and slightly mentholated. The more I familiarise myself with Labdanum, the more I fall in love with it. I guess my nose must be getting better because I can spot labdanum easily.
Featured Notes
Top: mandarin.
Heart: lavender absolute.
Base: labdanum
Aftelier's Amber is very interesting. What blows me away is the skill with which a note is crafted using some beautiful components and turning it into a gorgeous perfume. To get the Amber accord in the base, Labdanum is used masterfully used. This is art. This is what makes Afterlier the best of natural perfumery.

Aftelier's Amber is stunning! It has the fresh citrusy feeling accompanied by soft pink pepper. The lavender in it is nice. Lavender is not one of my favourite notes but I like it in this perfume. It is fresh yet not overpowering, which blends away into a the amber base. Warm, comfortable yet so elegant and refined. Charming!

Amber Eau De Parfum costs $90 for 50mls. I bought a sampler set a while ago and I chose Amber EDP spray 3 mls ($4) There are samples for every product that can be purchased through the Samples Page. The service is prompt and quick. Mandy Aftel's Book on natural perfumery "Essence and Alchemy" is on my wishlist. Aftelier is a great natural perfumery with some fantastic perfumes like Tango. Must try!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I have been looking for a great perfume blog to follow. I have so much trouble finding scrents I can wear due to allergies, and I just loved this post, and your description of the Labdanum Amber edp sounds exactly like something I could wear:) Thanks for the great post,
    ~Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Clare, Welcome to my blog! I am so glad that you liked the post :)
    Labdanum is very gentle and soft, even to people with allergies and who get headaches with perfumes. Give this perfume go and you may like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds nice though I'm not a big fan of lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage, generally I hate lavender! But lavender is nice in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so nice! Thank you so much for such a great, detailed post! It was very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this really sounds good! I am not too familiar with labdanum. Can you please tell me what perfumes have a prominent labdanum note?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie, lots of perfumes with labdanum! L'Occitane Labdanum de Seville is an amazing perfume, smooth and well rounded. Donna Karen Essence has a Labdanum just wonderful! Le labo also has a labdanum 18 which is spicier. Annick Goutal Ambre Fetish also has a nice labdanum note :)

    Do let me know how you go with testing :)

    ReplyDelete