Thursday, July 14, 2011

Aveda™ love™ Pure-Fume™ Absolute™ - bath oil

Aveda™ love™ Pure-Fume™ Absolute ™ Bath/massage Oil. Aveda has successfully trademarked 'love' and everything in name of Aveda. Should I now be scared to the word 'love' in public?!

Aveda, what an exotic name! Sounds something like Ayurveda but it really isn't. It is neither therapeutic nor does the name make sense. When I first heard Aveda, back in 2004, I burst out laughing. I could not understand (and still can't) why anyone would name anything good, Aveda! 'Veda' in Sanskrit means Knowledge. When you prefix 'A', it becomes the antonym. So Aveda means 'not Veda', that is 'not knowledge'. Does Aveda mean Ignorance?! Even though the website says Aveda means "knowledge of nature", I don't get it. I have studied Sanskrit for 5 years.

Well, the name and trademarking apart, I think Aveda products are quite good and many of them do live up to the promises.

I got my hands on Aveda love bath oil from Estee Lauder Staff Shop for a meagre $10. I don't know what price it retails at, but the label read $60 after 40% discount. So I am guessing it is quite a bargain.
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood
essential oils, certified organic
Right up front, the oil has an aroma therapeutic smell. Non-synthetic, screaming natural and medicinal. Somewhat like the smell you get when you enter an alternative remedial shop. I quite like it. It is floral, ylang ylang jumps right up and takes the centre stage. It is earthy, calming and quite romantic. I also get jasmine and what the whole oil leaves behind a gentle sandalwood aroma.

This is a bath oil. I am not a bath person. I am more of a shower-and-go person mostly because I am strapped for time and to be honest, I don't enjoy a bath. The last two days have been what I can nicely describe as emotionally draining. I just needed to be with myself and thought I'd put the bath oil to good use. I put my Baby Elephant to his afternoon nap and ran the bath water. The water was so hot that the entire bathroom was converted to a steam room. I added about 10 drops of oil into the hot water and slid myself into the bath. The bath oil was working. It came up as whiffs with the clouds of steam. It was relaxing. Everything went silent. The sound of annoyingly leaky shower suddenly vanished. All I could hear was my heart beat echoing from within the water (so clear that I can now say that the systolic murmur I had during my pregnancy has disappeared), my heavy breathing, all I could smell was the Love oil. After a while, the water equalled my body temperature before it cooled off. When I got out of my 'sensory deprivation tank', I had palpitations, I was dyspoenic, I felt syncopic, diaphoretic and thirsty. It was like a work out!

My skin loved it too. I usually need a generous coating of body lotion after a bath or shower but the Love oil coated my skin lightly, not slicky just a thin film of goodness! My skin is now left smelling of sandalwood and the bathroom smells lovely!

Even though aroma therapy does not strike a chord with me, I credit my post bath euphoria to the hot water and give some credit to the fabulously wonderful aroma of Aveda™ love™ Pure-Fume™ Essence™ bath oil!

17 comments:

  1. Ohh i love bath oils. I havent tried any Aveda products but this sounds good and
    $10 is a bargain! I went to the Estee Lauder staff shop ages ago and they had some great deals there.

    Hopefully Aveda means knowledge and not "ignorance" lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound so lovely! I've never tried a bath oil but I'm really tempted to go hunt this one down :D

    also, good point about Aveda :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pop Blush, this bath oil is amazing :) I actually like Aveda products. they are expensive but worth it. The staff shop have some great products. This was a score indeed!

    Ki, I generally stay away from baths but this is great! Pssst.. BPAL have some great bath/massage oils in their trading post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I`m glad you so enjoyed your bath. I can almost smell/feel the fragrant steam. Lol at Sanskrit meaning of AVEDA And congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Pandora! I can assure you that there no congratulations in order, at least not for the time being :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUMB ME :)thought you are preggers lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not dumb at all! No plans as such for now. I have a three year old :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Aveda products & you got a bargain, like you I prefer showers but as everyone else has said after reading your post I now want to jump straight into the tub

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! Three year olds are quite a hand full :)Time to read from your archives. So many choices it`s hard to choose. Will pick patchouli tonight.I`m trying my best to love it. Patchouli on the other hand, has quite an attitude and doesn't love my skin back. Will see how that ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds lovely! $10.00 is so cheap!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This product sounds great, but like you I am more of a shower person.

    We are hosting a Pamper Yourself Giveaway! Please stop by and enter.

    http://sunnydaystarrynight.blogspot.com/2011/07/pamper-yourself-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sugarpuffish, I like Aveda too! LOL, I am glad I inspired you for a bath! Hope you enjoy :)

    @Pandora, Yes, he is a handful. I call him my baby elephant :)
    As for patchouli, I agree, it is hard to like sometimes. Head shop smell much?

    @Vintage, I can't believe the bargain myself! Score :)

    @Sunny and Star, will surely check out. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a bath person for sure, mind you I rarely get to bath alone miss 2 & 4 always follow and demand to jump in too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jade, that actually sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could do with a soak in some of this, what a score, you did really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was a great bargain Mel! Very lucky to have found it. Keeping my fingers crossed for a permanent pass to EL shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't waste it by putting 10 drops into a big tub of hot water. I use it like a perfume! The oil is long lasting and it only takes a couple of dabs to last all day.

    ReplyDelete