Wednesday, August 17, 2011

BPAL Tarted Imps

BPAL Tarted Imps are here! Just got a package full of Tarted Imps in mail, my latest purchase from eBay!

Wondering what a Tarted Imp is? Well, I did too. I looked them up on the forums and I am here with answers! 

In BPAL lingo, an Imp or Imp's Ear is a 1 ml sample vial of a perfume oil, about which I have been blabbering away in so many of my previous posts.

Tarted Imps were the Imps that the Lab (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) used to send out till early 2004. Tarted Imps are these pretty little decorated Imps with a parchment paper tag on which the names are hand written. They are attached to the glass vial by tassle like, worn out black strings. It gives a nice touch of old goth and a mystical feel to it! In 2004, as the demand increased, the Lab switched from Tarted Imps to the Imps used now to keep up with the orders, as you can imagine the time and effort that took to make these!

I'm pretty impressed with myself for getting my hands on this stash. Thanks to eBay! All the perfume oils date back to 2004 or earlier. Some perfume oils like Goona Goona have been discontinued as early as 2003!

In spite of the fact that these are really, really old, they don't smell rancid or off or anything like that. They smell different from the newer ones for sure, because perfume oils get better when aged. It would be very interesting to compare the oils aged 7 years + with the newer ones. 

These are the pretties! They are rare to find, somewhat like antiques!
I usually put my Imps in tiny boxes and like to store them upright. This is where and how the Tarted Imps are going to live, for now. I need a lot of organising to do with my Imps and full bottles.

13 comments:

  1. How exciting! I didn't realize aged perfume oils gained something, like wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they are somewhat like wine :) People buy bottles just to age them, so that they can use in future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul Su! :-) I really need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellstar, you'll love BPAL :) It is hard to get your hands on tarted imps. But BPAL do sell regular imps from the website :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I don't sound too forward but if you are considering selling them, I am very interested to buy. I am a collector and these are very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got them Maire! I haven't even sniffed them properly. I may consider selling them somewhere down the line, not really sure! Not right now anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh how exciting.Imps or imp's ear as in fairytales? :)I'm sure perfume oils do not get rancid with age. I have an Attar that my great grandmother owned and it still smells divine.Love the yellowed with age handwritten labels and the names sound so interesting. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pandora, Very excited about these imp! How wonderful, that Attar must be like a heirloom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have many rare ones~ I didn't know perfume oils get better aged -that's pretty cool~

    ReplyDelete
  10. PopBlush, I'm so happy I got these! The aged ones smell more softer and fuller :)
    Vintage, aren't they pretty?! They look like they have magical powers :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow cool, I wasn't aware of oils ageing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh wow Su, that is an awesome haul, something to really treasure (if that is at all possible, haha)especially considering they are so rare :)

    ReplyDelete