Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Madison's Ultimate Perfume Guide: Perfume article

Thanks to lovely Jade, for inspiring me to do this!
A fantastic and informative feature on Madison Magazine: Issue July 2011 by Katrina Lawrence
Excuse the iPhone pictures, the lighting and the glossiness of the paper doesn't help! Click to enlarge and you may see slightly better.
Some facts, interviews, tips:
Classic Top 10 which can be found here 
I proudly own 4 from the list, Nº5, Opium, Angel and Shalimar. Love them.
I also like Fracas and Poison, due to their in-your-face-ness!


Some very interesting olfactory impacts according to Dr. Allan Hirsch. Here are the facts with figures!

*Floral spicy scents make you look like you lost 5.4 kilos making you look slimmer!
*Scents with Grapefruit make you look 6 years younger!
*Foody scents curb appetite!
*Jasmine makes time go slower!

I seriously feel like rushing to the shops and buying Miracle and Amethyst!

Great insight into some great perfumers
Karyn Khoury's favourite perfume anecdote:
Estée Lauder in Galeries Lafayette in Paris, intentionally dropped a bottle of Youth Dew bath oil on the store's carpet. Many customers began asking what the smell was and where it came from! Mrs Lauder soon had an order for her entire line.

Oliver Cresp says "Some flowers keep their mysteries and don't give their soul! Many scents are figurative and based on the perfumer's perception of the world." 

Francis Kurkdjian is hot!
To smell well, Dr. Avery Gilbert says mental training by acquainting yourself with kitchen spices helps. I am actually in the process of familiarising myself with herbs like tarragon, sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley etc and learn to differentiate from one other.

How to be a perfume critic: 
Sniff away samples! 
I don't have to be guilty buying sample after sample. Chandler Burr said!
He mentions perfume books and blogs. His own column for The NY Times is a fascinating read.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting article, I notice Jo Malone is on the list, I went into a store for the first time at the weekend and was sniffing everything, I am in love with a couple but I think they will be on the xmas wish list as they are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo Malone scents are pretty great. Most of them are light and easy to like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) It looks like a fabulous article! I really do need to get more into perfume, I only have one proper perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh I thought this article was brilliant too, one of the better issues of Madison :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vintage, once you start, it is hard to stop! Be warned :D

    Jade, I was surprised that a 6 page article was dedicated to perfume and not just ads! It has some useful info and great interviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great read. I have stolen whiffs of my mother's L’Air du Temps for as long as I can remember. I just adore it.The bottle, the inspiration, everything about it.EL's beautiful is an unofficial bridal perfume in the US.Maybe because of the adverts. Angel and Shalimar sadly doesn't work for me.Hmm... I really cant agree with Dr. Allan Hirsch's claim about the gourmands as I find myself craving candy and desserts whenever I wear em.I looove my miracle I'm almost out.You must try it if you like pink pepper Su, its amazing,and amethyst is lovely too.Great for summers kind of like Miss Dior Cherie L'Eau.What a beautiful quote by Oliver Cresp.Sorry for the rambling and thanks again for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. L'air du Temps is such a classic, though a little too classic for me :) I will surely try Miracle, I like pink pepper. I am huge fan of foody scents. Maybe that's why I don't crave for sweats generally :D
    Thanks for your comment, it is always lovely to read what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting article~ Thanks for sharing!

    I want my hands on a Chanel No. 5! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. PopBlush, Chanel Nº5 is really a classic. I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so cool! Thank you for sharing! Su, will you share YOUR tips with us sometime? I'd love to hear them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure Larie! Never thought of it but will start compiling :)

    ReplyDelete