Monday, August 15, 2011

Purple Fever: Purple Ombre Hair

I've got it and I've got it bad! Purple Fever 104ºF! ℞: my new look, Purple Ombre Hair!

My hair is naturally blackish brown. Until two years ago, I was a hair colour virgin. Since then, I've had chunky golden highlights, out grown them, coloured over, had thinner highlights, coloured it chocolate brown, had balayage, coloured over with a reddish shade and now I am purple! Life is too short for boring hair!

I liked the purple hair from my previous post so much that I thought I'd go permanent, as the semi I used did not last for more than a day. Now, if you are a dark haired person, you'd probably know that you cannot get a semi permanent colour in a lighter shade to work on dark hair. You just can't get anywhere near purple without lightening which means bleaching. I don't like the idea so much as I do want healthy locks and fancy colour. Too much to ask for?

I grabbed a box of Schwarzkopf Brilliance Luminance hair colour in Ultra Violet at Priceline, the only available option. The shade I wanted my hair to be was exactly as on the box. It is a permanent colour designed for dark hair. It is supposed to lighten and colour the hair in one step, without the need to prelighten. Which means it has bleach.

It is not the best hair colour I have used. The application is messy, the nozzle is too small for the creamy dye and it stinks of bleach. My hair feels like straw! 
The result: Looking past the frizz ball texture of my just washed hair, the colour is alright. But I'm not overjoyed with it as I wanted EXACTLY the shade on the box and it didn't turn out as vivid on my hair. But it does have a purple tinge, which I hope will stay. It is more purple in natural light. The flash washes off the purple and makes it look brown. Well, anyway here it is!
Just washed hair in sunlight
The purple bug I've caught is so bad that I'm greedy for more colour. I used Cinta spray colour on the tips to give that Purple Ombre effect. I guess it worked! Yes, it transfers to everything but shampoos out. I don't want to turn up with purple shaded hair to an important interview which is in a few weeks.

My hair after blowdrying and straightening, with Ombre effect!
Indoors with flash
A day later
Natural light
Likey? Me likey!

23 comments:

  1. That's quite cool! The purple ombre is quite a cool spin on the trend.

    I put in chunky, bright red (think apple red) streaks in my hair during college, and I liked them, but they faded too quickly and then my hair looked awful while they grew out. I'm tempted to do something like that again at some point, but it'll have to wait until after my wedding next year :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks really cool.The Schwarzkopf color looks beautiful in natural light and I just love the colorsprayed tips effect. I can never pull that off in a million years.You are sooo pretty. Good luck with the interview and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Larie Chunky red would be really hot :) Fading is a pain especially with bright colours on dark hair. You should do something totally crazy after your wedding :D

    @Pandora Thanks so much :D I wish it was more vivid though! I think purple would suit anyone, it is such a pretty colour :) You should try! Thanks for the wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple suits you so much!! I want to do ombre hair too!

    By the way, I love your makeup! Gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ PopBlush, thank you :) going for a purple smoky eye there :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been dying my own hair for years, I have always found the colour never looks the same as on the box but I have go used to figuring out what will or wont work for me. Dark hair always looks good with purple in it so I really like this on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since I saw your post about colouring your hair violet,I have been dying to do that andnow this! Stop tempting me with purples Su! Btw,you look HOT :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sugarpuffish, thank you :) I know, the box never matches the result. I wish it did!

    @Ki, LOL it is contagious! I am sure purple will look great on you. Give it a go :) And thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I love the purple! So pretty, wish I had your hair!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried those Schwarzkopf colours too and they never last me more than a week despite being "permanent". I remember someone telling me a brand that lasts a lot longer than other brands (including Manic Panic), I think it was "Special Effects" which Wildilocks stock. They have quite a few different shades of purple available. I think they work best on bleached hair but assume they work well on dark hair too. Might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vintage, thanks :)
    MissTeaAddict, great.suggestion :) I have seen a few YT videos using Special Effects. I ever knew you could get it in Aus! I just had a look at Wildilocks, impressive! Thanks so much! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wicked Su, I love it!!! :D Thinking of dying my ends green/blue hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL thanks Jade! Wow, blue green shade would look soooo good on your blondish ombre hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love the purple ombre on you. (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Michelle :) I want to keep it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Su it looks so effective in these photos!! This was posted only a day after I saw you and it looks so much brighter here and I can see the purple distinctively, just loving this look on you :) Did you end up doing it again as it looks lots more purple than when we caught up and I could just mostly see it on the ends? It would be awesome if it stayed so vibrant and didn't fade, would be worthwhile maybe checking out some other brands and seeing what you can find in this shade, its suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel, I took the pics just before we met! The sunlight brings out the purple i guess. Otherwise it is just has a tinge of purple, like you saw it in person. I have washed my hair 3 times after colouring, it is more red now than purple. I should check out Special Effects brand. It sounds more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Su.... pretty pretty - I am loving this on you! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks great on you! i was thinking about doing to this to my hair this week but i really want to avoid bleaching my hair at all costs since i have dark brown hair. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I have heard Kevin Murphy Colour Bug gives a vibrant colour even on dark hair. It is a powder, like an eyeshadow for hair! Also Manic Panic sounds really good. Bleaching just kills hair, these two need no bleaching. Worth a try :)

      Delete
    2. Is it possible to use this dye but not use the bleach portion?

      Delete
  20. You look amazing!! I LOVE this hair dye. I still use it up until today. Check out my tutorial/review on this as well here:

    http://lifewithaudrey21.blogspot.com/2015/07/review-tutorial-schwarzkopf-brilliance-luminance-hair-dye-red-passion.html

    ReplyDelete