Thursday, September 8, 2011

Haus Of Gloi Autumn 2011 Reviews: Ceremony, Hedonic, Queen Mother 1


My thoughts on the Haus Of Gloi Autumn Sampler 3. These are non gourmand scents, have a great feel of Autumn to them.
Ceremony
Dusty beeswax candles, frankincense, myrrh, mastic, spikenard, pale honey, a pinch of tobacco and faded musk.

Ceremony smells sacred. The smell of Frankincense and Myrrh is undeniably the smell of church. But it is not just that. It smells dry, old, dusty, like an old church altar with dripped wax from long burnt out candles, traces of holy water, remnants of incense.

Ceremony is a dense resinous perfume that has an amazingly soft, sweet base. In the vial, it smells heavy and waxy, turns into something really awesome on my skin. The incense-y ness of frankincense combined with Myrrh is not as harsh as it usually is. I expected it to smell like Olibanum oil but it is not as strong. It is surprisingly soft and blends very well with the rest. Spikenard is a herb that resembles holy basil/Tulasi and also somewhat smells like it. The Spikenard adds a bit of green freshness, enhancing the holiness of the perfume. All this lies on a base of honeyed tobacco, opulent, dense and very beautiful. The honeyed tobacco note vaguely reminds me of By Kilian Back to Black, a favourite of mine, which takes a whole new direction of sexiness, nothing like Ceremony.

As it dries down, becomes dense and so soft. On me, it does last long but the projection is close to the skin. I love Ceremony for its oldness and dullness. It is definitely unique.

Hedonic
Black fig, golden honey, saffron threads and Indian agar musk.

Saffron is the centre of Hedonic. In the vial, it smells of the highest quality saffron with something pleasant and sweet. On my skin, oud starts to develop alongside of the subtleness of saffron. Contrasting but they blend in well. This was kind of a dreaded moment for me given my Oud-o-phobia but all is well in this perfume as oud comes alone with no accompanying rose. I actually like the oud in this. Fig is fruity but not sickeningly so. It just adds a teeny bit of sweetness and is gently laced with honey.

Hedonic is delicate golden threads of saffron, drenched in honey, combined with luscious figs and oud. All very expensive and luxurious. Puts me in mind of a royalty, Middle Eastern perhaps. Fit for a queen (or king, it is unisex) who enjoys and appreciates the finer things and pleasures of life. Hedonic is rightly called so! 

Queen Mother 1
Last years Pumpkin Queen oil with 5 year aged patchouli, jasmine essence and the blackest vetiver, co-distilled with honeysuckle blossom.

The new Halloween tradition at Haus Of Gloi. Every year, HoG will release last year's blend of Pumpkin Queen spiked with some interesting notes. It will be aged one year and the numbers of bottles limited. I am very lucky to get to sample Queen Mother 1 as I don't see it listed on the website, either as a full bottle or a sample anymore.

I do have last years Pumpkin Queen oil. It came in handy as I can compare the two exactly. I can smell it in Queen Mother 1. Same spicy pumpkin with the camphor note but the spiciness is mellowed down and pumpkin really comes out. It smells more of pumpkin than last years Pumpkin Queen. But what really intrigues me is that I can't really smell any of the other notes mentioned. No patchouli, no jasmine, no honeysuckle, may be just a trace of vetiver which is barely there. 

I am looking forward to what the next year's oil will smell like. I think it is a good idea to buy a sample or a full size of this year's Pumpkin Queen and compare it with next year's Queen Mother 2 for those who are interested. 

Okay, so my thoughts on these turned out to be unexpectedly, epically long! Thank you for reading and your patience! Reviews of Sampler 2 coming soon.

13 comments:

  1. Ceremony is so unique! I like the 'feel' of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the Pumpkin Queen tradition seems very, very cool! I don't think any of these smellies are for me, though, based on their descriptions. I always love reading your perfume descriptions, Su!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jade, Ceremony sounds lovely~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ceremony sounds so nostalgic to me...that sort of smell is the one thing I actually miss about church, lol. And I'm running out of Samhain already...about 2 weeks into my first order and I'm ready to make another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larie, sampler 3 is a set of non foody/ quite unique scents. I am not sure if I'll go for a full size of any of these though I like them a lot!

    Vintage, Hedonic is very nice! I love saffron scents :)

    PopBlush and Liber Vix, Ceremony is very old and charming, unusual at the same time! I love perfumes that tell a story and you can feel that story when you wear it!
    Liber vix, can't wait to see what you order next :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful descriptions. hedonic sounds wonderful and oud seems to behave itself for once:)I think it balances out the sweetness of figs and honey.I love saffron scents. WHen I go to Iran the souks there are wafting with the aroma. Queen mother sounds lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pandora :)
    You are really lucky to visit places that have some beautiful smelly things! I just looked up what a Souk is :) It sounds so exotic and I'm sure it is full of wonderful things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last one (Queen Mother 1) sounds lovely! I love everything with jasmine in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Y, I like jasmine too! I wish I had gotten more of it in Queen Mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love reading your descriptions Su... Ceremony is a smell I can certainly relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jac :) Ceremony is a piece of beauty, so unique :)

    ReplyDelete