Saturday, September 17, 2011

Random Sniffs

Just to sum up what I have been sniffing recently. A trip to the city after a long time, catching up on what's new, testing new perfumes, bringing home heaps of tester strips. Some thoughts before they all go into the bin or the nicer ones become bookmarks. These are just my first impressions about the first sniff from my mediocre nose. They aren't really descriptive or evocative of any emotions. If it's neither, have I completely lost the plot and writing rubbish? Maybe.


Shalimar Parfum Initial: You can definitely tell it is a flanker of Shalimar, even if you smell it blindly. So very close to Shalimar but somehow not as "bad" or dirty. I get less of the powdery note and less animalic notes of Shalimar. It is a more refreshing, slightly sweeter and softer version. The dry down has the character of the Guerlainade, only milder. Shalimar Initial is not just toned down Shalimar. It has a personality of its own.
Do I like Shalimar Initial? Yes. Do I prefer it to THE Shalimar? No! Shalimar is my Holy Grail. But if Shalimar doesn't work for someone, Shalimar Initial is worth a try.

Madly Kenzo! The newest Kenzo. The sight of the butterfly paper strip attracted me straight to the counter! The perfume is unique. Floral, incense, spicy with a woody musk base. It is bright and perfect for summer. A good stand out from all the overly fresh scents which I am dreading will take over the hot months.

Burberry Body: As boring as unbuttered toast. I wish it smelt like unbuttered toast, would have been more interesting. Nothing in it makes me want to go for a second sniff. I can't find the minutest interest in it, even if I looked at it through an electron microscope.

Le Parfum by Elie Saab: The fashion house's newest and the only perfume. First sniff, very promising. Gentle floral notes of neroli and jasmine, it is a delicate floral, very refined. I smelt something vaguely familiar in it. People tell the perfumer by their perfumes. I can't, but now I know how they do it! Retrospectively looking at it, the vague familiarity is to Francis Kurkdjian's Lumiere Noir and Narciso Rodriguez. Guess who the perfumer is!


Narciso Rodriguez For Her In Colour and Essence In Color: The tester strips come with a fancy piece of cloth. Reminds me of the colour blocking trend that is hot right now. Sadly, I can't pull off bright colours, but I sure can wear these two perfumes! Essence In Colour is the purple one. It is a beautiful floral with a powdery musk. Sexy! For Her In Colour is the pink one. Very much like the original EDP which I really like. To be honest, I did not sniff it long enough to tell the difference.

Benefit Crescent Row: Ring My Bella For a change, it is not a sweet/fruity fragrance from Benefit. It is an overt floral, mostly rose with an admixture of indistinct flowers. Comes out as too floral and strong, dries down to a veil of perfume-y something. Would be great for hot days/nights, for someone who loves florals.


Jo Malone: Wild Bluebell: Ah, spring! Spring with lots of flowers around. I don't know what bluebell smells like, but this is light, pure and angelic. It is so airy and fresh that it is almost watery. I really enjoyed smelling it. 


Molton Brown: Navigations Through Scents Series: 5 new scents from Molton Brown representing 5 different locations along ancient silk and spice routes. All of them are different and really reflect the beauty of the ingredients used. I especially liked Apuldre: London Via Kent, has the nicest violet leaf extract smell!


Chanel Nº19 Poudre: I have somehow never liked Nº19. Poudre version is supposed to be heavy on iris and the greenness. I am undecided about it. Have brought home a sample with me to test out properly.

20 comments:

  1. Wild bluebell is the only one I have sniffed out of this list - I got sent a free sample it smells lovely! :) so not for this season though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ki, Oh, yes! Wild Bluebell is so very gorgeous! It is perfect for the season here as we are heading into spring/summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As boring as unbuttered toast. I wish it smelt like unbuttered toast, would have been more interesting. Nothing in it makes me want to go for a second sniff. I can't find the minutest interest in it, even if I looked at it through an electron microscope."

    You just made me laugh so hard. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol VijiiS =) Sometimes crap perfumes are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sniffed the Jo Malone Bluebell one today I quite liked it, very light and fresh I was surprised

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just would have loved to see you sniffing this lot with the sales assistants swarming around you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugarpuffish, Jo Malone one is awesome! I can picture you wearing it :)

    Jac, lol, it wasn't that dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Jo Malone bluebell sounds beautiful. A refreshing change from typical summer aquatics/citrus scents. I just love the packaging of Benefit Crescent Row collection.This one sounds different from the others.What a disappointment from Burberry's latest. I have yet to read a positive review. Thank you for sniffing and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pandora, I love fresh fragrances which which don't have a super citrus blast. Jo Malone is perfect!
    I did not expect very much from Burberry Body, so no disappointment :D Benefit's new one is so floral, seems out of sync with the sweet ones that are already in the collection, but a nice addition. I love those bottles too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wild Bluebell sounds so nice and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh wish i lived near a jo malone counter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PopBlush and Jade, do try it whenever you can get to DJs in the city or any other place close to you. I'm sure you'll like :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always been impressed with the sound of Jo Malone's perfumes and your review of Wild Bluebell makes me want to try and get a sample myself!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to try Jo Malone, too, but we have no counter. At least, I don't think we do. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post! I want to try Ellie Sab...it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Su, just wanted to let you know I gave you a Blog Award!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Le Parfum by Elie Saab sounds quite nice! & "As boring as unbuttered toast." haha Su!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel exactly the same...nothing amazing, surprising, yummy or breathtaking has come into the 'mainstream' market for a while. I only really consistently like N. Roriguez releases when Im sniffing around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tea, I agree! We need something exciting, something with a twist! N. Rodriguez has great perfumes. If I were to own one, it would be the NR for her EDP :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you reviewed Chanel Coco Madamouselle? I love the scent, but I'm curious to see what your take on it is :) You have such a way of describing perfumes!

    ReplyDelete