Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Aesop Fragrances: Mystra and Marrakech

'Exotic' is the word that pops up in my mind when I smell these fragrances. Exotic, interesting and different, Aesop fragrances are all those things! Aesop is an Australian company with Greek roots that has awesome skincare with botanical extracts that smell like old world apothecary (the Rosehip seed lip balm is fabulous). Who knew they made some mindblowing perfumes as well?! I did not, till I saw them while browsing at the store. Really, I was pleasantly surprised to try these fragrances, well made with nicest ingredients and smell beautiful.
Aesop Website
"Mystra was inspired by the beautiful Peloponnese hillside town's history of conquest and struggle, a place once home to French knights, despots, and monks. It is a place that reminds us of the complexity of human history. Accordingly, this fragrance is many layered, with top notes of Mastic, Frankincense, and Labdanum."
Mystra smells amazing. I liked this the best of the two. Mystra is an incense based fragrance and a good incense fragrance too. Incense is pleasant, calming, clean and dry. The smell of Mastic/Lentisque is growing on me and the more I smell it, the more I like it. Mastic has that dry, (not too) green quality to it that goes very well with the incense. The whole thing is held down by barely there sweetness and warm resinous quality of labdanum. Mystra dries down to ambery, balsamic base which is energetic and uplifting as well. What I like most about is how the incense draws me into the perfume. I like it for the dryness, it is dry like hot desert sand. All my favourite notes in one, what's not to like?! 


"To make Marrakech, we let our thoughts drift across warm seas, to a city draped in colours of the desert, where artisans sit on rugs hewn by hand, and lute music mixes with the smell of spices in hot wind. It led us to create a fragrance with Clove, Sandalwood, and Cardamom. 
cardamom, ylang ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, clove, jasmine, rose and neroli"
If spicy perfumes interest you but you are scared of the heaviness, then Marrakech is for you. Marrakech has the right amount of spices to make the scent dark and alluring but it is also light enough to be refreshing. It starts off with the heat and spiciness of cloves, not really sharp or pungent but definitely present. I think cardamom (like it does in most perfumes) renders a cool freshness to it, lightening up the perfume. Soft sweet woody base of sandalwood (along with traces of essential oils of other essential oils) is delightful.
To me, Marrakech is a predominantly cardamom perfume, it steals the show among the spices. It has a well balanced spiciness with an earthy, resinous feel to it. Not quite spicy to remind me of old world spice markets with wafts of various pungent spices (hello, Serge Lutens Arabie!) but nice enough to feel exotic in a modern way. 


Aesop fragrances are easy going, straight forward and uncomplicated but different and make a statement for sure. These perfumes take you to a whole new world. You can feel the presence of 'botanicals', the natural essential oils. I like the unisex nature of the perfumes. Even though they give an apothecary/aromatherapy vibe, they are in fact modern and feel like 'perfume'. The packaging is nice and simple. Each perfume comes in three forms, the 10ml roll on parfum being the longest lasting, the balm and the splash are less in the longevity. They are a little pricey but I think I would (if I could!) splurge on a 10ml roll on of Mystra. (check the Aesop website for the prices)
Not all Aesop outlets have these fragrances. You can't find them in Aesop counters at David Jones or Myers. They are stocked only in Aesop boutiques. 

11 comments:

  1. Oh I haven't tried the Aesop scents yet, I always browse through their stuff at David Jones though. They both sound like my kind of thing, I'll have to give them a try sometime. $80 for the solid scent is pretty exxy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Jones counter doesn't stock perfumes. You'll have to go to the store in Westfield (4th floor I think) or the store in Strand Arcade in Sydney city.
      It is expensive, I wouldn't spend on the solid perfume because the staying power is poor. Roll is the best staying power wise but nearly $100 for 10 ml is pretty expensive. If had money to throw away, then maybe :)

      Delete
  2. I love the packaging! They do seem pretty pricey, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the packaging too :) It is pricey, maybe because they use good ingredients. I don't think I can justify buying it. Even if I do, I will have to think 10 times before buying it.

      Delete
  3. I love Aesop. And as usual, your descriptions have made me want to sniff these! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, try them! They are different :)

      Delete
  4. Wow these sound beautiful, damn I wish I lived near the city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should make a shopping trip to the city soon then! :)

      Delete
  5. I never new Aesop was an Aussie brand, interesting! You have me intrigued, I always walk past their counter, but next time I will stop by.

    P.S I don't think I have seen you around BH in a while, hope your well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should try the perfumes (and skincare) Katie, you'll surely like :)

      Thank you, I have been well :) Just on and off bh, I wish I was there everyday like I used to. No time and I feel kind of lost on the forums! Hope you are well too x

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you are well :)

      I know the feeling, it's hard finding the time. Take care x

      Delete