Thursday, December 1, 2011

BPAL: Black Phoenix

Black Phoenix being the signature oil of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, I have always wanted to try it. I recently got hold of BPAL's Black Phoenix (and many other fabulous perfume oils), thanks to Dee's generosity! Dee is the person who introduced me to the wonderful world of perfume oils and she is always there is enable and motivate me!


Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
Black Phoenix
Diabolus
General Catalogue
"Our signature oil. A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won't stop kissing mirrors for a month."
Black Phoenix is something of a mystery because the notes are not listed. What I smell is wonderful and keeps changing throughout. 
Initially all I smell is almonds, almonds, almonds! Almonds are laced with some kind of sweet booze. Almonds go on for about 5 whole minutes. Almonds being my favourite note, I love it! The perfume gradually transforms into rose with teeny hints of green, fresh patchouli. At this stage, the rose dominates and what I smell is essentially a foody rose. I can't say that I'm a fan of this at this point. But the dry down is to die for! There is a dense powdery rose, somehow dark and deep. The musk (the Lab's famous Red Musk) emerges. After an hour or so it turns into an incredibly beautiful skin scent. The musk is delicious with very light spices, very powdery and just becomes a part of the skin.

This is a definitely a big perfume. Rosy powder reminds me of old world makeup. It is deeply romantic, just tipping over to the 'bad girl' territory. It has a vintage feel to it, very charming. Usually not the kind of perfume I'd like, but I love this! It has wonderful staying power and great silage. Simply love!
I also have an old tarted imp of Black Phoenix which has aged for about 7 years or so. Compared to the new one, it is LOT boozier and sweeter. The almond phase lasts less longer. The progression to floral powder is lot a quicker and dries down a lot faster. If you are not a fan of almonds, maybe you should let it age.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds super complex! I love your descriptions, as always! :D I'm not a fan of almonds, but I'm also not a fan of big, powdery, finishes...so...probably a pass for me. It's so disappointing when you know you won't like things that are so revered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larie, I feel the same about most rose perfumes. But somehow the combo works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Su as always I enjoyed reading this you always make everything sounds so wonderful, when you talk about almonds I imagine marzipan (which I love) but am I correct? is the smell similar or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love almonds & almond scents yum! I love the idea of ageing perfume oils :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, thank you! The almonds are more like bitter almond oil (benzaldehyde) smell! Not as sweet as marzipan, but lovely!

    Jade, I am a huge fan of almonds too! And yes, ageing oils is interesting :)

    ReplyDelete