Friday, January 13, 2012

BPAL: Thirteen Feb '09

Today being Friday the 13th, I reached out to wear a perfume very appropriate for the occasion, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Thirteen. BPAL comes out with a limited edition fragrance every time the calender reads Friday 13th. It is like a time capsule really. I have a bottle of Thirteen (13 February 2009) that I acquired from Dee, thanks Dee! This is the first and the only Thirteen from BPAL I have. Looking forward to what blend they have for today, which will be out on the website soon. 


Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Thirteen February 2009
Limited Edition
"A sweet, comforting base of dark chocolate and brown sugar with thirteen herbs of good fortune, including nutmeg, Tonka, allspice, star anise, Jamaican and African gingers, devil's shoestring, lucky hand root, and thyme."


Sniffing directly from the bottle, Thirteen smells green and herbal. On my skin the herbs amp up, it smells like crushed green leaves. I smell eucalyptus, camphor and something fierce and fresh. Then it progresses on to the spicy territory, vague spices that I can't name. What's striking is that the chocolate is very soft and suppressed by everything else in this perfume. Chocolate comes with ginger, to add fresh and add more to the green. The dry down has just some spices and teeniest bit of sweetness from the chocolate. Thirteen is not a chocolate scent in itself. It is more of a green spicy scent which borrows a bit of sweetness from the chocolate and lets the chocolate go completely.


Thirteen reminds me very much of Gluttony (discontinued scent in the Sins and Salvation series). Both have the same green-chocolate note. Gluttony takes the gourmand direction but Thirteen deviates towards spice. I sold off my Gluttony as I didn't like it much. I thought that I was not a fan of the heaviness but it turns out it is this particular chocolate note that I don't like. I can't say that Thirteen is my favourite for the same reason, plus the spices just don't do it for me. 


Like most other days, Friday the 13th is just another day to me. My day has been good so far!

8 comments:

  1. You always come up with the most unique perfumes. This mixture sounds decadent. Too bad about the dark chocolate note. Must be a bit bitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just weird, something about it doesn't work :(

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I would like this, but then again BPAL often does weird things on my skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many BPAL perfumes turn weird on me too. I think I should make a list of BPALs that don't work for me. Most of them are nice surprises though :)

      Delete
  3. Really gorgeous sounding fragrance!<3 I'm starting to get more into perfume. :) Anything chocolate scent is a winner in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love chocolate perfumes too! Just LOVE :)

      Delete
  4. That one always gave me a headache, one of the few perfumes to ever do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, that is no good :( It doesn't give me a headache but it smells just strange. Jade may have better luck with it :)

      Delete