Monday, February 20, 2012

Minature Perfume Inventory

I am partial to miniature perfumes for one most important reason: they are cute! I like that they come in the same shape as the big bottles, only smaller and cuter. I am happy with the quantity of perfume, 5 to 7 mls is ideal amount to try the perfume without having to deal with a 100 ml bottle that I may most probably never finish. They are way more glamourous than decants in generic vials. 

Looking at my collection now, I'm sad that I have bought most of these perfumes just for the sake of it. With a few exceptions of course, I don't wear them very much. Most of them are full and only tested once or twice. This is the downside of minis. If you are a collector, it is a good thing to have a lot of minis but I am not. I buy perfume to wear and enjoy it. I hate the clutter. It feels like a waste of space and money now that I think about it. If I like a perfume very much it is wiser to buy a full bottle rather than a mini. Calculating the cost per milliliter, minis (smaller sizes in general) cost a lot more than full bottles. 

 Dab Ons, Sprays, Roll Ons: Given the size, packaging of most minis is in Dab On bottles. I totally don't mind Dab Ons. It is convenient because I can control the amount applied and the area on which I apply. It is easier to diffuse a little amount of scent into a small area like behind the ears (unlike sprays). Or I can splash as much as I like! Some of them do spill making a mess and wasting the precious juice.

Sprays are really convenient and hygienic. I have not seen sprays on commercial perfumes with sprays on smaller bottles. I also wish the spray caps were "removable" so that they can be refilled with the same perfume again. 

Roll Ons are convenient and portable. The hygiene part of it doesn't really gross me out. It is just my own dead skin after all! Anti bacterial wipes come in handy to wipe them and keep them clean regularly. 

Here is my miniature perfume inventory.
Calvin Klein miniature set: Obsession, Euphoria, Eternity, CK One, IN2U Her. I like the first three, I hate the last two. I picked this up for cheap at Myer at post Christmas sale. I wore Obsession (a little too much of the already gaudy perfume) on the evening before my son, the Baby Elephant was born. I'm not sure what happened there but he was out after a few hours. This stuff is strong!
I like this set because there is generous amount of perfume (7mls each) and they are sprays (except CK One which is a dab on)


Revlon Roll on set. I like Fire & Ice and Pink Happiness and they are the most used. I have already gone through two little bottles of Pink Happiness already. I just keep these for traveling because they are convenient and nice for non special occasions. 



Yves Saint Laurent Travel Set: I love Cinema, it is cozy, warm and nice. I also like Opium (I'm pretty sure what I have is the new formulation) I don't particularly care about Paris, Elle or Baby Doll.


Flower by Kenzo: Love it! Such a nice, powdery scent. I have finished one bottle, almost two, with one more to go. My only regret is that it is EDT. I prefer the EDP because it exaggerates the powder and is much prettier and more intense. 

Versace set: Crystal Noir is almost empty. Love it for the soft sandalwood fragrance, very sexy indeed! Others are almost untouched. Bright Crystal is alright (I remember falling in love with it in 2005) Versence is also nice-ish. Pour Homme and Eau Fraiche, I think husband has full bottles that even he isn't using.


Cartier Delices: I bought it only for how nice the bottle is! It is a nice sweet cherry scent too. 
Annick Goutal Songes: Very chic romantic jasmine scent. Got to love the dreamy stuff!
Theirry Mugler Angel: Should I say more?! I like it but not enough to buy a big bottle.
Hermes Rouge: I haven't actually tested it yet.
Agent Provocateur Maitresse: Another floral, somewhat old school. I don't mind it.
Belanciaga Talisman: I was looking for a fruity boozy strong perfume and Talisman is perfect. It was hard to find, which is why I'll treasure it.

Elizabeth Arden Pretty and Mediterranean: I think both were Gift With Purchase items (I must have bought a lot of makeup someday!)


Miss Dior Cherie: This is from 2008/2009. I know that the formula is changed recently. What I have is the old formula which is hard to find. I like this one but don't wear it a lot. I haven't smelt the reformulation so I can't compare. It is there for keepsakes.


My favourite of the whole collection is Prada Miniatures set. The simple clean design of the bottles is a winner. The juice is great too. I love Amber Intense like crazy, the other two are nice too. All of them are full bottle worthy. 

So, this is my miniature inventory. To be honest I don't think it is a lot, even after seeing pictures of all of them together. I counted 34 of them. Miniatures is a vanity thing, I guess. I am not sure if I'll be buying any more of minis in future just for the sake of it (unless something is really, really cute!) The tiny Chanel miniature set tops my wishlist for minis, followed by Shalimar pure parfum.

Just curious, I'd love to know if you too get carried away by the cuteness of miniature perfumes or do you prefer full bottles or are you happy with decants?

20 comments:

  1. Nice collection!I love minis...maybe because I prefer variety or maybe because I'm cheap and the idea of dropping like 80 dollars on one perfume gives me the chills. I can't remember the last full bottle of mainstream perfume I bought. I always end up buying minis or sample vials on Ebay. LOVE Prada tendre and Miss Dior Cherie. Since I started getting into indie perfume though I haven't bought any mainstream perfumes. When I get into something, I go head first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are not cheap at all! That is exactly what I think too. Minis maybe expensive per ml but it is a lot less money to spend at once, given how inflated Australian prices are! I hardly ever finish a bottle. Indie perfumes are so much more special than mainstream ones. I too would rather have more indie perfumes than mainstream ones :)

      Delete
  2. Impressive miniature collection!! I've been given a few miniature sets over the years: an Estee Lauder set, my favourite of which was Pleasures Intense, a Dior set which began my obsession with both Pure Poison and Addict and most recently a Chanel set which has made me fall for Coco Chanel. The Chanels are all dab on though which make me so worried about losing any of the precious liquid inside!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get the Chanel set! It looks so good but it costs as much as one big bottle. I have a huge bottle of Nº5 and if I buy the set, I'd feel very guilty :D

      Delete
  3. These are so cute!!! I think minis are great, too, because I like having more variety versus bigger bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! It feels like you have so many perfume bottles as against just one huge one! Variety for sure :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a full bottle person although I suppose it's not very practical as I can only own a couple at a time because I don't use them up quickly! I really like CK Euphoria, it's been at the top of my perfume wishlist for a couple of years because I love the sultry seductress scent but could never justify it because my other perfumes were almost untouched - got it last Xmas and still loving it! La Perla's J'aime La Nuit is a sweeter version of it that I also really like, gotta wait til I use up Euphoria first though. Hehehe. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I absolutely HATE dab-ons! I always spill them! :(

      Delete
    2. I love Euphoria too! It is such a beauty. One of those old favourites that never gets old! I haven't tried La Perla one. I saw a lot of La Perla fragrances at Perfume Connection, have to try :)

      Dab ons spill, it is a shame. The stoppers for them become loose and I usually forget to close them tight. Waste of precious juice :(

      Delete
  5. I love your collection Su. I think minis are a great way to sample loads of different scents, with cute bottles to boot. I can tell why the bottle of crystal noir is empty. It really is very nice. Your trio of prada is to die for
    So the first scent baby elephant sniffed was obsession hehe! so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Versace Noir is so good, isn't it?! I love that perfume. I have to get a full size, so worth it :)
      I love my Prada ones, I think they are the best of the lot!

      Baby elephant came out when I wore Obsession. He came out either because he couldn't wait to smell it or it may have been too much for him and he wanted to get fresh air! LOL

      Delete
  6. Nice collection. particularly because its covers the breadth from Revlon to Agent P! Minis are so so so tempting! I had to gather all my power to stay away from those christmas sales - was tempted with the EL and EA sets! but the prob with these mini sets is u only end up liking less than 50% of it! :( but then again for ppl like me who cant stick to one (of most things!) its a good thing!

    But the Chanel mini set sounds great. Am about to finish my Coco M full bottle and wouldnt care to buy a whole bottle of one perfume now. My mind and nose are too nomadic for it rt now. have gone from musk - strawberry - vanilla - lavendar to now rose in 2 months :((

    I was looking for YSL Paris (the original one) but could only find Parissiene or something which wasnt good. I want to try Opium... Is CK Obsession really a 'must try'? I have read a lot abt it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minis are too tempting, I agree! Varying tastes is always good :) I haven't particularly liked Paris or Parissiene but Opium is a classic, quite 'strong' with a lovely dry down of spices! Obsession is quite in your face kind of perfume. People love it or hate it but it is so worth giving a try :)

      Delete
  7. Your minis are gorgeous! :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your collection! I really like how cute minis are, so it's strange I don't own any at all. The Chanel minis are tempting, but I rather spend on a single scent I love, rather than ones I'm meh about.

    I love the Prada Amber scents too. Have you tried the Pour Homme Intense one yet? I'm in love, told my boyfriend it was for him but I've ended up stealing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on Chanel miniatures. That's what is keeping me from buying too (that and Aussie prices)
      Oh, Prada Ambers are really good! I haven't tried Pour Homme Intense though. It must be just out? I'm guessing it would be a nice, male version of Amber Intense. Will look out for it next time :)

      Delete
  9. Love this prada perfume on the last photo. The bottle designing was cute. :)

    women pheromones

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your minature collection, I like the idea of having a range to dip into rather than big bottles that might not be used. I buy my HG favourites in big bottles but always go for 30mls or smaller for ones I'm just trying out. Chanel minis would be adorable, but they are super pricy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer 30 ml bottles over huge ones too. Oh, Chanel is so tempting but it costs as much as a full bottle (well, almost) :)

    ReplyDelete