Monday, February 27, 2012

The Morbid The Merrier reviews: Horseman, Delina, Lucy

My thoughts on some perfumes that I have tried from The Morbid The Merrier


Horseman Fiery jack-o-lanterns, black leather boots, temple incense, and the edge of a dark Autumn wood. Opens sweet, almost caramel-foody, but after only a few minutes on the skin, it darkens dramatically, almost changing into a different scent altogether.


Horseman is based on the character of Headless Horseman from Sleepy Hollow and was released as a limited edition for Halloween. It has found its way into the permanent list of perfumes on the website (thankfully!)


I bought a full size after all the rave reviews (by everyone who has tried it) not even bothering with trying a sample first. Boy, I'm glad I did. I love it and I have never smelt anything like it. Horseman is a great leather scent. Leather is not animalic. It is soft, like well worn leather. The perfume begins with a peppery spiciness that contrasts but complements the softness of the leather, giving it the 'heat'. Incense is dry, somewhat like hot sand. Under all this there is a layer of sweetness. The sweetness is like Benzoin without the booziness with mildly sweet vanilla. The scent may seem disjointed with leather changing into something sweet but the transition is beautiful. Perfectly blended.
The 'well worn leather on hot desert sand' effect gives a sexy edge to the perfume but actually it is a soft, cozy and an easy to wear perfume. Gives a feeling of warmth and comfort. 


Delina is a scent for a woman with a dark side. It's black garters and blood red lips, sweet and sinister simultaneously. Lotus gives it innocence, amber grounds, and red wine gives it just enough naughty! I think it's something Miss Delina herself would have liked.


This is dark and complex, big and feminine. I really like this one. First sniff, all I get is wine, thick and boozy but it disappears into some lush florals. I could have sworn what I smell is rose but I guess it is another 'nose trick'. The floral note is lotus I suppose which I can't really distinguish. Nevertheless, Delina is gorgeousness! It is sexy, sensual, feminine perfume.


Delina reminds me of another wine scent which is also my favourite. It is Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Kali (cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.) While the similarity is in the red wine note, the two perfume take totally different directions. Delina leans towards a voluptuous floral while Kali becomes very dark, sweet and sexy. I like them both.


Lucy White-out! A melange of white, white, white. White musk, white sandal, vanilla bean, Indian white amber and white pepper. But don't worry. I've added enough black to keep it interesting.


Lucy is a very clean scent. All I smell is soapy musk, like freshly soap-washed skin. It has a smoky vanilla element, not sweet, still clean and very soapy. I was unsure about this at first but it makes good hot day perfume.


Quentin: almond cake, glazed walnuts, and black tea leaves 
This was a freebie sample vial with my order. It is yummy! Smoky almonds, vanillaic sweetness with a bitter black tea note. It is a foody scent but not too sweet as the all cakeyness is cut but the bitter tea. I love it. I think this was a limited edition scent (for Christmas or Halloween?) The full size came in a good looking square glass bottle, which I have missed. Hope it is re-released soon!

All the perfumes from TMTM have good staying power. The bottles have a reducer cap which is good but I have no preference over un capped bottles personally. If you haven't given The Morbid The Merrier  I highly recommend you do! The samples cost $2.50 USD and 5ml bottles cosy $12. Shipping is reasonable and quick, customer service is good. 

17 comments:

  1. The only one that sounds like I could wear it is Lucy - TMTM doesn't really make my kind of smells, I think. They definitely all sound perfect for you, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll also like Horseman. It is androgynous and not heavy at all :)

      Delete
  2. quentin is amazing - my favourite of the holiday scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised by Quentin, what a lovely smoky sweet scent! Wish I had gotten a full size.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever sniffed Lucy or Quentin - if I did they didn't make a lasting impression on me. I love Horseman and Delina though, probably my two favourite TMTM scents.

    I always confuse lotus with rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't hear enough about Horseman from and it is all worth the rave! Delina is gorgeous.

      I don't know what it is about lotus in Delina that confuses me. My perception of lotus is from smelling the flower directly and I can most certainly say that it does not smell like rose. In some perfumes, the lotus note is not lotus and all rose. Glad to know I am not alone :)

      Delete
  4. Arghh between you and Dee I want to BUY ALL THE THINGS!!! Great reviews Su <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get all of them! I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic reviews, Su! One of my TMTM orders arrived with 2 completely crushed samples, and missing the FS freebie. But, Lysa promptly sent me the missing perfume, plus 2 of the samples, plus FS of Destiny from the Valentine collection..and OMG it is divine!! Now I'm waiting on another order, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame the samples broke, but that is good customer service! Oh, I have not looked at the Valentine collection yet, I don't think I should, too tempting :D I'll look forward to reading your reviews on them :)

      Delete
  6. I love your reviews you introduce me to companies I have never heard of. I am intrigued by all the scents described here, if only we had smell-o-vision for the PC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like these Sarah. They are blended in some nice oils and solid perfume has beewax and sweet almond oil base. You can read the ingredient list and see if it is suitable for you :)

      Delete
  7. I swear I would buy some of these just for their names alone lol. As always a great review Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac! Oh, surely they have some perfumes that you have to have just for the names! Sleepy Hollow series especially :)

      Delete
  8. I've never try TMTM before but would love to try Delina-sounds delicious ;) BTW Su, I gave you an award, check it out!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been tagged in my post.. Pls visit my blog and check it out:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fida! I really appreciate :) Love your blog, you are such a positive person :)

      Delete