Sunday, February 5, 2012

Provence et Nature: Lavande Ambree a l'Ancienne

Lavande Ambree a l'Ancienne by Provence Et Nature. I would just melt if a French person said these words! The name makes it sound like it is a $100 bottle perfume. But it is not. I picked it up at a pharmacy in Canberra a few months ago for a measly $9.95! Don't be fooled by the price, this French made perfume is really beautiful and could easily pass off for a $100 one. Before I start off the review, I must confess that this bottle lived in the glove box of the car for about a month. My fault because I totally forgot about it after buying. It hasn't ruined the smell but I feel bad for neglecting a nice perfume like that.

Lavande Ambree is a well made perfume that is so French, simple and beautiful. It is a combination of, well you guessed it, Lavender and Amber. It begins with the lavender note. Lavender to me has a masculine/fresh effect but in this fragrance, lavender is not fresh, it is dry and warm. The amber comes with lavender and is the reason to make it warm. Amber note is awesome, it is powdery and faded. It is not accompanied by any of the sweet elements that amber is usually made of. It smells somewhat like unsweetened raw vanilla with a powdery oomph added to it. Due to the character of lavender which is dry and of amber which is powdery, it is surely an unisex fragrance and smells really good on me. As time goes by, the lavender sublimates into a pleasant trail. All I'm left with is a beautiful, warm but dry and powdery amber.

I really love the feeling this fragrance evokes. It is like the smell of dried and pressed lavender flowers that is ageing in an old dusty book!

Provence et Nature (Google translated to English) has so many perfumes and Lavande Ambree is one from the Classics collection. I also see on the website that there is a wonderful range of organic and natural perfumes in EDT and EDP forms. I think the company has distributors in some Australian pharmacies. The only one I know of is the Pharmacy in Canberra Centre. Google search has led me to some online stores as well. If I go to Canberra again, I may get Black Musk which smelt really nice!


Lavender is not one of my favourite notes. To be honest, it brings back memories of a bad time in my life when I was stressed and as per some one's suggestion I used some fresh lavender under my pillow to help me sleep. Instead of calming me down, lavender had a gloomy effect on me that made me cringe and nauseated me. It still does. But I'm getting over it and scents like this are helping me to.

Interested to know if you have any fragrances or notes that bring back unpleasant memories which has led you to dislike it? 

7 comments:

  1. Hmm I haven't heard of this brand before, sounds like they may be worth a try.Looks like they have a fig flower scent too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Fig Flower one but it sounds really nice! Can't wait to hear your thoughts, if you get a chance to try :)

      Delete
  2. I think I like my lavender more fresh and medicinal, actually, so this sounds like it would be too warm and ambery for me. But it is nice to see something budget-friendly that is still a quality perfume!

    As for unpleasant memories, I'm not sure. I suppose there must be some, but I prefer not to linger on those sorts of things if I can help it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This must be the kind of lavender I like. Sending you some to test, you'll know first hand :D

      It is always good not to have a permanent bad association with anything, I agree!

      Delete
  3. beautiful post!!!amazing blog!! i'm following you!!if you like mine,do the same!!!

    Freaky Friday

    Freaky Friday FB FanPage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have awarded you a blog award. x http://brighttowngirl.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Will check out now :)

      Delete