Friday, March 30, 2012

Alkemia Perfumes: Miel De Sauvage Et Tabac and Smoke & Mirrors

Alkemia Perfumes, another Etsy discovery! I first heard about Alkemia perfumes through the lovely Olfactoryobsessed, whose review of Les Mysteres was so captivating that I couldn't wait to order and try it! I finally placed an order in early March and my order was here very soon. It took just over a week to reach me, quick postage! I ordered a sampler set, chose five 1 ml sample vials and was thrown in a freebie (Persian Tearoom). I chose the kind of perfumes I love, the deep, dark, resinous ones. The store has something for every taste I am sure.

I have found 2 favourites already which I will surely be buying a full sizes of. Miel de Sauvage Et Tabac and Smoke & Mirrors.
Miel De Sauvage Et Tabac
"Sweet, spicy pipe tobacco flecked with wild honey, freshly crushed honeycomb, the pollen of forest 
blossoms, and smoked black amber. Warm. Dark. Golden. Luminous. Untamed."


Honey scents are my thing. I love the honey note because it draws me into the perfume and makes me feel warm and sexy at the same time. I crave for honey and MdSeT satisfies me in so many ways. In one word, MdSeT is amazing! It is a honeyed tobacco scent. Tobacco is leafy green, turning into something snuff-like but of the exquisite kind. It is smoky, sultry and sexy. Amber, spicy at first, becoming cozily warm later, is a nice addiction that smooths out the tobacco. Honey offers a cushioning effect, soft, rich and very sexy. I do agree that it is 'sauvage' in a raw sexy kind of way.


MdSeT reminds me of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which also is simply gorgeous. The fresh leafy tobacco note is similar but MdSeT is sweeter with a prominent honey and has an 'untamed' sexiness.
MdSeT also reminds me of By Kilian Back to Black, due to the same honeyed tobacco-ness. Back to Black gets boozy and softly resinous as it progresses but MDSET has an amplified honey note and smoky, spicy amber adds to the sexiness. The similarity of these two with MdSeT is the honey/tobacco note and ends there. MdSeT doesn't try to become something, it is unique. This is just my way of saying that if you like Tobacco Vanille or Back to Black, you will love MdSeT!


Smoke & Mirrors
"I originally blended Smoke & Mirrors as a 'rescue' layering element for a customer whose Beloved had spent $275 on a bottle of gorgeous perfume that didn't work with her chemistry. Accordingly, Smoke & Mirrors makes a fabulous layering scent that adds intriguing and mysterious elements to other perfumes... works particularly well for toning down any perfumes that are too sweet, deepening and gloriously complicating resin and incense based scents, and softening chypres and any 'sharp' woody scents."


OMG, how gorgeous is this! Smells like burning woods and dry leaves set on fire and the lovely aromatic smoke they emit! Sniffing directly from the vial, my nose is pleasantly enormed by the smokiness of burning firewood. The smokiness dampens down as it progresses and leaves a balmy, resinous trail of amber and smoked woody notes. In the dry down, the burning smoke transforms into aromatic smoke, so light and airy juxtaposed against the fine and soft vanillaic but not too sweet resinous amber. 


Another smoky scent I love is Flourish/Firebird Woodsmoke and Vanilla. The smoke in woodsmoke Vanilla seems somewhat metaphorical when compared to the realistic and literal smokiness of Smoke & Mirrors. Woodsmoke Vanilla is light, cool and more woody (like cedar, sandal, vetiver) pleasant and aura-like quality is amazing. Smoke & Mirrors is dramatic smoky scent with beautiful resinous undertones. 
The smoke in Smoke & Mirrors is so addictive! I love to wear Smoke & Mirrors as is, without layering it. I just can't get enough of burning wood and smokiness. I have layered it with super sweet scents like Jessica Simpson Fancy or L'Occitane Labdanum de Seville. It adds a wonderful depth and transforms the perfume into something you can't even imagine.


The staying power of these perfumes (all the Alkemia perfume I have tried) is great on my skin. The fantastic staying power makes it more worthy of a full bottle ($12 for 5 mls) 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Su,

    You've been tagged..
    http://soapobsessions.blogspot.com/2012/03/eleven-things-about-me.html

    feel free to play along, if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda! I really appreciate the award, thanks for thinking of me :) x

      Delete
  2. MdSeT sounds fab, I love cozy, sexy perfumes too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good! I want a full bottle :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you like Alkemia. Although I'm not surprised, Sharra is such a talented perfumer and I'm shocked she doesn't attention from the perfume community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for introducing me to Alkemia! I haven't heard much about it at all. I hope Sharra gets all the recognition it deserves :)

      Delete
  4. I am terribly jealous of the depth of your nose. When I smell a perfume mine only registers the basics: sweet, not sweet, and so on. d: x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I think it is a lot about basics. Smelling a lot of things definitely helps :)

      Delete
  5. These sound divine Su, perfect for this coming winter *eeep* bookmarking the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! These two scents from Alkemia do stand out as the best I have tried. Both perfect for winter :)

      Delete
  6. I have MdSeT on my skin right now... An hour in it´s just about getting enjoyable, will probably be fantastic in another ten minutes... It seems my skin amps tobacco a bit too much. But the honey is coming trough now and finally turning this into a very enjoyable scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scent is so awesome! I am glad you like it :) Tobacco is strong but takes time to tone down. And it is very long lasting so that you can enjoy the dry down for a long time! I remember I finished my sample in two days and it is such a potent scent that the whole box smelt of MdSeT just from the empty vial!

      Delete