Monday, April 23, 2012

Musk Lollies and Agent Provocateur Strip

My lovely friend Div (who writes Severed Sparkle and a Vegan blog. She's great, check her out!) has the nose of a truffle hog. Whenever I meet her, she has a spot on description of the perfume I am wearing. She says it so well and so precisely that makes me think "Oh yes, that's exactly it!" I think she should be writing a lot of perfume reviews! One time we met, she said I smelt like incense. So I did, I was wearing BPAL's Womb Furie. Yesterday, she said that I smelt like Musk Lollies*. Yes, I did! I was wearing Strip. Natalie once said the same thing about Strip in one of her comments. I do agree, Agent Provocateur Strip does smell like Musk Lollies!
I picked up Strip at a warehouse sale for a meagre 20 bucks. Strip really stood out from all the other perfumes and believe me, I tested about 30 in a span of 30 minutes. I could smell something warm, like amber and I swear I smelt leather. It was beyond gorgeous and I wanted a bottle right away. When I came home with Strip and tested it in a more controlled environment, paying full attention to the gorgeousness, I got a beautiful amber note. Strip is huge on amber: golden, rich and dark. The quality of amber is vanillaic, slightly boozy and dry. It is not too sweet but warm and powdery. What I perceived as leather initially isn't really there but there is an animalic feel to it without being too dirty. It may very well be the quality of musk which shines in the dry down. Powdery, woody, slightly smoky, sweet musk is the drydown, very much like Musk Lollies!

Strip is a big fragrance, sensuous and voluptuous, very sexy but quite comforting at the same time. I think it is amber lovers heaven. Kind of reminds me of Prada Amber Intense, only without the patchouli note. It stays forever and the projection is awesome. Definitely makes a statement.

The bottle is egg shaped, the signature shape of AP bottles and has a leather tassel clip in place of a cap, very nice. The design on the bottle is like someone has played naughty games with paint (free association, dirty mind and all!) Sadly Strip is a limited edition but there are many bottles floating around at sales etc. I think if a bottle is spotted anywhere, it is grab-worthy. I know I want to stock up on it!

*Musk Lollies or Sticks: Iconic Australian sweet confectionery. They are a kind of scented/flavoured candy which I have eaten many times without knowing the name. They come in sticks, palettes and "lifesaver" form. They are crunchy but melt in the mouth.

The flavouring agent is "edible musk oil". It has a sweet rose-floral fragrance, a bit mentholic but not too strong with a mouth freshener quality to it. It is very perfume-y but edible. I think it smells like baby powder but tastes really sweet and nice. It is like eating perfume but in a good way! 

11 comments:

  1. Interesting review, do you guys get Parma Violets over there? They are a perfume-y type sweet which I like but they are not to everyone's taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say if you want to email me your address I have a perfume sample I would like to send you, I was sent several, I think you would like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have eaten those Parma Violets once I think. I remember liking them but I don't really remember what exactly the taste was! I have not seen them here :)
    I'll send you an email now! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does smell like musk sticks! I really love all the AP scents, I think they're vastly underrated. They don't fit into that typical commercial mould a la Miss Dior Cherie, Marc Jacobs Daisy so people tend to overlook them. I picked up Strip for $15 at one of those stands in a mall and it is one of my best buys ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love AP scents. Strip is my favourite and recently, L'Agent has me drooling! They surely are something different, classy and nice :)

      Delete
  5. What an odd candy, haha! I'm sure they taste fabulous but they just seem odd in words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems quite odd, but tastes nice :) I recently found out that they are Aussie, for good reason!

      Delete
  6. How does this compare with Mor marshmallow? That one smells like musk lollies to me. It's my current obsession so now you have me wanting to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both are quite different. Mor Marshmallow smells like rose petals soaked in sugar syrup/honey. It is lovely but very sweet at first and then mellows down a lot to smell like marshmallows :) I have seen you talk about that a lot! You SHOULD get it and I suggest you go for the roll on perfume oil which is a bit better (and cheaper) than the spray :)

      Delete
  7. Musk lollies remind me of this rose petal candy that we get in Iran. It's made from wild roses mixed with a bit of saffron and caramel. They have a powdery scent to them too. yum!
    I have not tried strip. Only maitresse which I'm afraid I didn't really like lol. Love their packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rose candy sounds really nice! Yeah, it must be something like Musk lollies :)
      If you find Strip, do try. I agree, Maitresse is niceish but leans more towards florals, which is not particularly my taste ;)

      Delete