Sunday, April 8, 2012

Paddywax Ex Libris: Edgar Allan Poe

Snapshots from the video "Requiem For The Damned"
Absinthe, the one that corrupts the mind and makes the actions evil. As in Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat. Used as a note in the candle that pays homage to Poe himself. 

Paddywax has a wonderful collection of candles from The Library Collection, a tribute to writers, created for bibliophiles. I picked up Edgar Allan Poe (well, yes, I am a fan of Macabre and mystery) solely for the notes. Cardamom, Absynth, Sandalwood. It smells unique, pleasant and very soothing. 
Absinthe is sweet like honey, slightly boozy, no overwhelming anise or fennel note. It enhances the sweetness of the cardamom and complements the soft woodyness of the sandalwood. Very delightful combination. Simple enough for a candle but if a perfume is ever made with this, I'll be all over it!
The candle is made of soy wax and has double wick. The burn time is 30 hours. Burns well, the sillage is average but it should fill a small room with a good amount of fragrance. I absolutely love the label, the tin packaging which is simple, elegant and portable. It is perfect to burn in the library or in the study to creates a great atmosphere for reading.

The Ex Libris range from Paddywax candles has other nice candles, like Oscar Wilde (Cedarwood, Thyme, Basil) and Walter Withman (Grass, Thyme, Red Clover) both of which I want to get. I bought the tin for $14.95 from Myer store. I have also spotted the range for very cheap at Dymocks. It can also be bought from the website. These candles would be great study partners. Look out for Journey of the Bee range, yum!

10 comments:

  1. I really love the packaging of this! How nice and compact and sturdy. I also like that they are inspired by books and authors :D Sounds very cozy, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the packaging too! After the candle burns out, I'll keep the box to store bobby pins or other little things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the coolest candle I've ever seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a brilliant candle inspiration:) Will be checking these out for a study buddy, love the mix of scents and literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, these candles are great study buddies, inspire you to pick up a book :)

      Delete
  5. That candle sounds really nice. What a great idea. Inspired by literature and authors. Hey Su do you remember David Bowie's movie labyrinth? It was/still is (blush) my fav movie. They have launched a collection of perfume oils inspired by that movie. I saw the post and thought of you, as you're into collecting perfume oils.I'm including the link, if you're interested.
    http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2012/04/black-phoenix-alchemy-lab-the-labyrinth-collection.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but that movie is right up my alley! Surely going to watch :)
      Thanks so much for the link. I like inspired stuff and and no one does it like BPAL :) I want Fairy Bites, Hoggle and Jareth!! x

      Delete
  6. Perfect timing for me to see this review, need new candles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice opinion.. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete