Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ayala Moriel: Les Nuages de Joie Jaune, Vetiver Racinettes, Finjan


Les Nuages de Joie Jaune
"Mimosa Soliflore. Woody, wet and slightly sweet with notes of vanilla and cassie.
Cabreuva, Cassie, Frangipani, Jasmine Grandiflorum, Mimosa, Orris Root, Vanilla Absolute, Violet Leaf"
Mimosa is my favourite floral smell. Even thinking about mimosa brings on a flood of memories. Smelling mimosa takes me straight to my childhood. The shrub grew everywhere and was full of thorns, ouch! I don't know what my little self was admiring at, the smell of these tiny little flowers, or how beautiful these were to look at, or how the light from the sunset shone on the little yellow flowers. They were these bright little perfectly round things and the evening sun made them brighter. Mimosa, both the smell and the sight has a soft radiance to it. It brightens the mood and makes everything cheerier. I so totally get the "Les Nuages de Joie Jaune" (yellow clouds of joy) analogy, that is exactly how mimosa flowers make me feel!

This mimosa perfume is not too literal, not at all like sticking your nose in the handful of mimosa flowers. It is more like smelling the unbloomed buds. I think so, because it is not as sweet as the real flower is. It is green, sharp to begin with, mimosa slowly emerging from the background and diffusing into orris root, a bitter, paper like smell with hints of green mimosa wanting to come out and blossom but just doesn't. It is a gorgeous perfume actually. May be my expectation of how Mimosa should smell is coming in my way of appreciating the perfume.

The closest to natural Mimosa I have smelt is the Cassie absolute from New DirectionsThe most literal mimosa I have smelt in a perfume is the generic, cheap fragrance oil that you can buy anywhere. Sweet, powdery, floral and I love wearing it!

Finjan
"Spiced Turkish Coffee gourmand with a hint of floral notes.
Balsam Tolu, Blood Orange,Cardamom Cinnamon , Clove Bud,Coffee Absolute Coriander, Honey Absolute , Jasmine Grandiflorum Rose Maroc, Sweet Orange"
Very sweet, yet light perfume. Mild spices, mild florals, beautiful rose with a very light hint of coffee. I get candied rose petals, or is it candied orange? Maybe both. It does remind me of Turkish coffee, with more accents of sweetness than actual coffee itself. The sweetness fades and becomes a foody rose, very wearable one.


Vetiver Racinettes
"Our signature vetiver fragrance is like no other, combining the earthiness of thousand rootlets in deep dirt with the sweetness of refreshing root beer.
Black PepperVetiver HaitiVetiver Indonesia, Vetiver Sri-LankaVetiver Madagascar (Bourbon)Ruh Khus Attar MittiKaffir Lime LeafCardamom CèpesCoffee AbsoluteSpikenardTarragon (Estragon)GingerNutmeg Absolute"
Vetiver has the rap of being a masculine note and I think it works beautifully in a feminine way as well. When I look for a something fresh, I turn to Vetiver because it is cool, fresh and so juicy. The smell of vetiver for me is the smell of summer because we used to put a few little strings of the roots (without soil of course, they were dried roots) in our water bottles. It smelt so good and cooled the heat right off. 


Vetiver Racinettes is a powerful vetiver. Very rooty, vetiver in its truest form. The vetiver is strong. There are about 4 kinds of Vetiver in it though I can't tell one kind from another. It is so earthy like it has been freshly plucked from the earth with smell of wet damp soil still clinging to it. It must be the Mitti (soil of the vetiver) part of it. It smells delightfully of the dirt. Barely there spices and ginger give me the root beer feeling. It is kind of dense and watery at the same time. The more I smell it, the more I fall in love with it. The freshly turned earth and sparkling ginger ale with vetiver which ties the freshness down to the earthiness is just magic! I want more!


Ayala Moriel has a fantastic range of all-natural perfumes. You can sample all of them. Samples cost $12 for 1 ml. I bought a set of 6 last year for $40. Full sizes are $120 for 15 mls. Given that Ayala uses natural ingredients, they are pricey. The perfumes have varying staying power on me, some last a few hours while others I can smell most of the day. Only compelling perfume that I may get a full size of in future is Film Noir. 


Wow, writing about Mimosa and Vetiver is making me very nostalgic suddenly!

2 comments:

  1. Vetiver Racinettes sounds amazing, love an earthy vetiver, especially for an Autumn day cos it lets me hang on to Summer! How long does it last on skin, Su?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, love earthy perfumes on an autumn day :)
      It lasts for about 3 or 4 hours, the freshly turned earth lasts for less than that. I wish it was longer on my skin!

      Delete