Friday, May 11, 2012

Dupe Alert: Kiehl's Amber Essence Oil Vs Tom Ford Amber Absolute

I was wandering the aisles of David Jones yesterday when I had a sudden urge to go into Kiehl's counter to smell the Musk. After I tried the Musk, I moved on to try Amber Essence Oil. I was very impressed with Amber. It took me five seconds to realise that it smelt familiar and another ten to know exactly what it was. It smelt so close to Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. While still smelling the Kiehl's Amber on the backside of my left hand, I walked up to the Tom Ford counter and sprayed Amber Absolute on the backside of my right hand. Comparing the two side by side, yes, they smelt almost similar. Next step was easy, I immediately bought Amber from Kiehl's counter.

Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is my ideal Amber. It is an intense but smooth, spicy, smoky, warm and sexy amber. Labdanum, gives a radiant warmth and resinous vanilla gives a boozy sweetness. It also has a good amount of incense and balsamic notes to add depth and brilliance. It costs nearly $300 for 50mls in Australian retail. Kiehl's Amber oil, the similar kind of amber, costs $25 for 7 ml roll on.

Of the two, the Tom Ford one has a beautiful finesse to it. All the rough edges are well trimmed, the notes are well tuned to make a masterpiece. Kiehl's is similar but it is kind of crude. The difference between the two is subtle. Though one may miss the beautiful progression of top to base notes in Kiehl's, it is identical in the dry down to Tom Ford.

What Kiehl's makes up for with the quality of amber for the price, it compensates for it with its staying power and projection. Kiehl's is diluted and its staying power doesn't even come close to Tom Ford. If I wear Tom Ford in the morning and go to bed at night (without a shower) I can still smell the perfume on my sheets and pillows the next morning! Such is the awesomeness of Tom Ford's staying power. Projection wise also, Tom Ford takes the trophy.

Have we found a dupe? Kiehl's Amber was made in 1942 and Tom Ford's Amber Absolute was made in 2007. So, can't decide which is a dupe of which. But price wise, Kiehl's is a steal. A damn good substitute for Tom Ford, really. Till the day I can buy a full bottle of Amber Absolute, Kiehl's is mine to enjoy. 

7 comments:

  1. I have never known about the Amber oil at Kiehls...Amber is one of my favourite fragrance notes so I must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love amber too :) Kiehl's range of roll on perfume oils is good. They have 10 different ones including the cult classic Musk. Coriander is another one to try!

      Delete
  2. Great blog structure.

    I would love to follow your beautiful blog! <3 maybe we can follow each other?



    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have a look at this next time I'm in store, I'm not sure if I like amber or not so can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber is easy to like and not! Kiehl's amber is warm, a bit spicy and a bit sweet. It could be perfect for winter if you like it :)

      Delete
  4. I've been hooked on Kiehl's amber for years, and just found out that it was discontinued- it hasn't been in the Philadelphia store for over a year, it's no longer on their website and not available from any other online retailer.... *sob*..... I'd be willing to pay international shipping if I could find it! If it's still in your stores, my advice is to snatch it up so you can sell it to desperate Americans! (Kiehl's appears to have discontinued all of their essential oils except for Musk) If you know of any other scent that is similar (and does not cost 300 AU) I'd love to hear of it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know it is discontinued in the US. How sad! The lady at the counter said that they brought back the Amber after it was unavailable for a year or so! Maybe check the Australian/International website if they ship to US? Try eBay? I can send it too, if you can't find it anywhere!
      If you want something similar to this Amber, try Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Brecourt Amber Noir, Armani Prive Amber. I also think Tom Ford one is much cheaper in the US!

      Delete