Friday, August 31, 2012

OMG Haul! Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille & By Kilian Back To Black

Thanks to everyone who showed interest and bought from my previous few Blog Sales and eBay, I had enough money to blow and I blew it on these beauties! I am the proud owner of the two best scents in the world! 

One of the first websites I browsed when I moved to UK was Harvey Nichols. Looking at the website, lusting after everything, dreaming! That place, in person is simply mind blowing with the fancy makeup and perfume counters. That and Harrods. Trips to London will prove a lot more expensive than I thought. The comparatively lower prices to Australian retail are so tempting. Nothing is 'cheap', but still! Multiplying things by 1.5, constantly reminding myself that the price is in Pounds, not in Dollars, easily getting carried away!

I wanted to get Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille since yonks but it was too pricey in Australian retail (and even otherwise it is pricey. I paid ₤135 or $210 US, Australian RRP $290). If not for all the disposable money, I could only have dreamt of owning a full bottle. It is really worth the splurge. The most beautiful vanilla ever done!

Back To Black: Aphrodisiac By Kilian: You may think I am a bit crazy to buy two things that are similar: two very expensive tobacco themed perfumes. I admit to being a bit crazy, the two perfumes may not be starkly different. But Tobacco Vanille and Back To Black are one each of their kind. Tobacco Vanille relays on the bourbon vanilla for the sweetness. It is dry, a bit boozy and absolutely sexy. Back To Black is all about honey, sweet, powdery, soft and sexy as well, but more of a comforting sexy on my skin. The common thing is though, both perfumes are addictive and orgasmic, every time I sniff!  
4 x 7.5 ml with one spray cap and the gorgeous refill case
By Kilian perfumes are not cheap. But Kilian gives us price options with the concept of refills (Eco-Luxe, nothing goes waste!). From the L'Oeuvre Noire collection, the size that is the easiest on pocket is ₤41/$65 for 30ml refill (₤1.36 per ml). They are plain glass bottles, come with no spray. You can decant into generic spray bottles to enjoy the juice. The wisest option.

The 50ml refillable spray bottle costs a whooping ₤145/$230 (₤3 per ml)! 
Plain glass bottle of 50 ml refill costs ₤65/$103 (₤1.3 per ml)
We are surely paying a lot for the design of the bottle: comes to ₤80/$127 for just the bottle minus the juice! 

What I got is a Travel Set 30ml for ₤82/$130, instead of Travel Refills which would have cost me half, at ₤41! Not a wise thing to do. But please, please look at the gorgeous stone case for the refills to go in. Yes, I paid double, to cover the cost of the packaging! Ridiculous! I LOVE IT! I'll have something to put the little sprays in when I buy the Discovery Set (dreams!). To my eyes, it looks much more aesthetic than the $230 big bottles.
"Monolith engraved with Achilles Shield"
It has a magnetic cap.
I feel guilty for spending so much money at once, especially on By Kilian where I could have gone for the sensible option. I am reflecting on Liz's words and injecting myself with some sense! I am done. No more splurges anytime soon, especially on perfume.

Now I'll leave you to be charmed by this soft spoken gentleman. Not just the looks and the accent, he seems like someone who is genuinely nice!

14 comments:

  1. I don't know that what I said applies in this case, Su! Perfume is clearly an all-consuming passion for you and your collector's nose is quite distinct and obvious. You were quite practical about funding the splurge and I'm sure these have been on your list for a very long time. I have a samples of both Tobacco Vanille and Back to Black and would splurge for TV if I could. Someday! :) My purchases are all over the place and nowhere near as well thought out. I'm still learning to control impulse buys to make myself feel better. I think what you've done is more akin to a realization of a long-term dream.

    How's that for justification??? :D

    P.S. That Kilian is a total charmer. I love the name Kilian as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what you said does apply here, particularly the urge to buy everything NOW! The Kilian could have waited and maybe I would have been sane enough to get the refills, I don't know :D But yeah, TV is totally justified!
      Mmmm yeah, I am charmed by Kilian too :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing, Su. I think Liz is right - these were items on your wishlist and you took some extra padding and made it happen! Clearly, not an impulse buy and a very well-deserved one :) I have yet to smell any TF scents. There is a counter but I just don't want to do it, because if I fall in love with something - !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been on my wishlist for a long time, especially TV :) And no extra padding, I still have some cash left even after the splurge. My blog sales and eBay did quite well!
      Oh, you should try TFs, you'll surely find something. I am guessing Neroli Portofino or Azure Lime will be your thing :)

      Delete
  3. WOW, these perfumes sounds AH-mazing!! My best bet would be to search for dupes, in order to not empty my bank account, lol! I'm so glad you have your perfume buying mojo in full swing in the UK :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, it is full swing and I need to stop :D
      If you are looking for something similar, Alkemia on Etsy has Meil de Sauvage Et Tabac, which is simply stunning and a great tobacco/honey scent. You'll love =)

      Delete
    2. You are welcome :) Curious as to what you will order! I am about to place an order from Darling Clandestine, thanks to you :D

      Delete
  4. Money well spent! I have been wanting to buy By Kilian Straight to Heaven but the price has stopped me. Thanks for your comparison of prices per ml for the refils and the big bottle. The packaging costs as much or more than the perfume, that is ludicrousness!
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I did a bit of hard thinking and per ml costs do help in deciding. If you are just after the juice, refills are a great buy. Straight to Heaven is gorgeous. Hope you get it soon!

      Delete
  5. Oooh ahhh lucky you miss Su! Killian is quite the artist, I've yet to sniff his scents, but it's on the list of things to do/sniff! :) Missing you, hope you and your family are keeping well xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jade! Missing you too <3 <3 <3
      Oh, do try Kilians! You will surely like Back To Black: honey, tobacco and very sexy :D TPC and such places have decants :)

      Delete