Saturday, October 13, 2012

BPAL Rappaccini's Apiary: The Honeys - Daphne, Hemlock, Oleander

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
General Catalogue
Rappaccini's Apiary
"Within the vast gardens of Rappaccini’s estate lies a peculiar apiary, populated with bees of questionable tastes. Inspired by the Maenomenon of Pontus, Xenophon’s Retreat of the Ten Thou-sand, tales of St. Olga, and the exploits of the Heptakometes, Dr. Rappaccini slowly adjusted the pheromone emissions of his colonies, thus modifying their behaviors. His bees developed a predilection for unsavory nectars, and Dr. Rappaccini’s experiment came to fruition."

Rappaccini's garden must have been a dangerous yet a mystical place full of all those beautiful poisonous plants! Creating these toxin infused honeys by making the bees feed on the poison nectars (and sometimes genetically modifying the bees, Paduan Killer Bees!) is a genius idea of Dr. Rappaccini and even more genius of the Lab to present us with perfumes based on the story (Rappaccini's Daughter)

BPAL's honey note is to die for! I love O which features honey with warm ambers and absolutely adore Womb Furie which is Snake Oil with loads of honey. One great thing about the Lab's honey note is that there is as much sexiness to it as it is warm and cozy. It is gently sweet and powdery. It doesn't have any harshness to it nor is it very 'perfume-y' unlike many other honey fragrance oils I have tried. The idea of Apiary scents excites me for all the delightful honey in them. The whole concept of a poisonous flower with the honey note in itself is intriguing. I have 3 perfume oils from the Apiary, 2 full bottles and an imp that I bought from eBay with a whole lot of other honey based perfumes.

Daphne Honey: I have no idea what Daphne flowers smell like. The perfume smells like a really nice floral. It is very floral at the beginning and by floral I mean it is like a mix of orchids and jasmine. Very creamy and heady. May be this is how Daphne flowers smell like in real life? The florals merge into honey. It is very gradual and once it does, it becomes a gorgeous floral honey, something like the dry down of Defututa. Honey is there but not really prominent. Really lovely honeyed floral.

Hemlock Honey: Another flower I don't know the smell of. But Hemlock Honey smells all honey with just a hint of something floral. This one is all about the honey. It reminds me very much of O, in fact it is O straight up! So sexy and so warm. It is not as sweet as O but the ambery vanilla is replaced by a barely there floral note which adds an extra bit of powderyness to the scent. I think it could be called O with baby powder!

Oleander Honey: I know the smell of Oleander. Nerium Oleander leaves have a fatal cardiotoxin. The flowers are poisonous too but they smell really good. The best way I can describe the smell of Oleander: lush floral something like a cross between white rose and jasmine with a sweet powdery base. I also feel it is a bit 'oily'. Oleander Honey smells of a fresh oleander flower in the bottle. Very floral and heady. Sweet and even more powdery now that it has honey with it. There is a bit of greenness, like a hint to its poisonous nature! Good balance between the flower and honey.

Gladly the Apiary scents are General Catalogue, which makes me happy because I can just include them in any order or buy them anytime. Other than these Apiary scents, I also have a bottle of Jerusalem Cherry Infused Honey from Paduan Killer Bees series deserves a fabulous review. Coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. What a great ebay find! They sound fabulous. aaah, honey (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a very happy girl :D I was very lucky to get my hands on a lot of 10 partial/full bottles, all perfume oils based on honey from different indie houses. The seller actually included Daphne Honey as a freebie! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow... I love the bees of questionable taste! :D

    Daphne Honey sounds the most appealing to me. I love the sound of honey but find honey notes to be sickly sweet and overly powerful in a lot of concoctions I've smelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love the bees of questionable taste :D
      Yeah, some honey scents could be too overpowering. Hard to like if sweet perfumes is not your thing! One honey perfume that is extremely wearable and feminine is Estee Lauder Sensuous (Noir version if you like a bit intensity). If I ever buy a full bottle of a commercial perfume next time, it will be this :)

      Delete