Tuesday, October 30, 2012

BPTP 'Weenie: Slaugh - The Muscle Rub Smell!

Inquisition: Trick or Treat 2010 (Limited Edition) 
Champaca, black tea, tonka bean, and sassafras.

It is no secret that I love the smell of muscle rubs, Vicks Vaporub, Deep Heat, Tiger Balm, Amruthanjan and such rubefacients. It is an addiction that started when I was in my crib aged 6 months, when I swallowed a little potful of homemade vaporub. To everyone's shock I didn't shed a tear and I was blissfully happy when they found me with the empty bottle. 30 years later, my nightly ritual includes applying a teeny amount of Vicks Vaporub to my nose and forehead before I drift to sleep, even without a cold. I don't know what exactly I like about it. I think it is all about the feeling of comfort that comes in the form of the counter-irritant effect of warmth and coolness. Pure hedonism!

When I first smelt Slaugh from the bottle, I thought I smelt something mentholic. Then it hit me, the Muscle Rub smell! Oh my, that was very unexpected and it made me smile. Slaugh, on deeper sniffing and on the skin, is all about Sassafras, the root beer smell. I am not crazy about the taste of root beer but I do find the smell interesting. Root beer has flavouring of Sassafras, safrole an extract of the plant's bark was traditionally used to flavour root beer. Safrole, after found to be carcinogenic, has been banned and is replaced by a commercial oil that is a by-product of Camphor production which has the same smell and taste of sassafras. Camphor has a mentholic smell to it that is imparted to the root beer. Methyl Salicylate (oil of wintergreen) is also sometimes used in the flavouring of root beer.

See what I am getting at? Root beer has the flavourings of camphor, menthol and oil of wintergreen, all of which are the components of any muscle rub! So yeah, Slaugh smells very much like muscle rub and I like it!

I have been cleverly and unexpectedly tricked by this BPTP 'weenie! Smelling like Deep Heat is probably the only exciting thing I am doing for Halloween, other than rewatch The Purge Scene from The Cabin In The Woods to look at all the hilariously depicted monsters and figuring out all the horror cult references. Merman is my favourite!

2 comments:

  1. Very very VERY interesting! I've never heard of such a thing! lol Though I do love root beer, I can't stand the medicinal rubs and such. I grew up with Tiger Balm (in Korea it was the solution to everything) but never got over the smell. Clearly you were born to perfume blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I don't know if anyone else feels the presence of muscle rub in root bear. It may be just me! I am weird :D

      Delete