Sunday, November 25, 2012

Comfort Cravings

I love winter because I can wear two of my most favourite things: all those gorgeous, resinous, heavy, vanilla perfumes and sweaters! Gosh, I love sweaters, all those fancy cashmere ones to 'nana chic' sweaters, mostly grey sweaters but love coloured ones too. I also love sweatshirts (I live in my med school/high school reunion sweatshirts) silk scarves and cute hats! And coats, oh, I love coats! It is safe to say I love warm clothes in general, a little excessively actually. I recently went shopping with a lovely new friend and she must have thought I am bit cray cray for sighing orgasmically at every sweater I looked at! I picked up this really soft and comfy sweater that is also quite stylish. It is the background of the picture above and seen here.

This winter, I have taken a deviation from my usual perfume liking of heavy resinous ones to warm, snugly, light perfumes. I still love an occasional spritz of Shalimar, all my intense ambers like Prada Intense, Tom Ford Amber Absolute, my most beloved Tobacco Vanille and a dab of my Snake Oil, but I seem to be hooked on comfort. The two perfumes I wear a lot these days are Love's True Bluish Light and Boo!

Ava Luxe: Love's True Bluish Light
The beauty of this lies in its simplicity. It is a simple blend of Vanilla and Musk. It smells innocent, pure and uncomplicated. The musk is gentle and delicate, very skin-like. Vanilla just adds a nice touch to the skin musk making it more graceful. It is such a pleasure to wear, it is something so gentle and so beautiful. It stays so close to the skin, like a dainty silk scarf rather than a woollen sweater but keeps you warm and comfortable.

Every time I wear this perfume, I am reminded of how many beautiful perfumes are made by Ava Luxe I need to get more of these gorgeous blends sometime very soon. My eyes are set on Madame X, Royal Parvati and Milk.

BPAL: Boo!
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
LE for Halloween
"Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream"
It smells like milk and sugar! It is rich, warm, delicious, creamy milk with sugar and vanilla dissolved in it. The "fluttering white cotton" is adds something clean and a freshness to it. My bottle is from 2009 and it is well aged. When the bottle was new, I used to get the eeriness from something which I thought was incense. I also remember that it had a creme brule like burnt-smokiness to it, which was very mild but was still there. Now all that is gone and it is pure and simple milk and sugar - awesomeness! Boo has certainly got better with ageing. It is such a gorgeous scent to wear on cold winter night and stay in. It is so warm and comfortable.

I am also loving the entire Shea Butter range from The Body Shop, which I bought a ton of and some really nice body products from Molton Brown. After all, winter is indulgence time I enjoy the most, unlike summer where I struggle with 'fresh' perfumes and also with what to wear!

12 comments:

  1. I like sweeter, heavier perfumes in the winter, too. Boo! Sounds lovely! And sweaters. Love sweaters. You're right - perfume + sweaters is a perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect combo to stay in and drink hot chocolate on the couch <3

      Delete
  2. You now have me checking out Ava Luxe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava Luxe is awesome! There are great perfumes both simple and complex. I wish there were samples available but it is not a risky gamble. I have blindly bought 2 bottles and love both. I think you should email Serena for the postage cost :)

      Delete
  3. OMG. Please review Milk when you get it. Now I want Boo! so very badly. I only discovered BPAL a few nights ago and have to sit on my hands to keep from ordering crazy amounts of things I may or may not like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Liz - the BPAL freefall is so dangerous!

      Delete
    2. Haha, yes, dangerous territory! Try some samples of general catalogue first to see how you like different notes. If you like foody scents, you'll love BPAL but only a few florals do it for me.
      I am dying to try Milk! Will let you know how I go :)

      Delete
    3. LOL Dee

      Not to worry! I shall do my research diligently first. :)

      Delete
  4. After I read this I went and got out the sample of Love's True Bluish Light you sent me and used the last of it (sniffle). It's SO beautiful. Definitely on my full bottle list for the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like LTBL :) Pure delight, isn't it?! I have a little left in my bottle and I need a refill soon. I really really wish Serena sold samples. I'd have the whole collection by now if she did!

      Delete
  5. I've heard some really great things about Boo! I wish they had it here in Australia.
    I hope you're well Su! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Reese! I am well. How are you?! So good to hear from you :)
      Boo is awesome! It is a limited edition for Halloween and you can order from BPAL website (US based) when it is out. They do ship to Australia :) It is a popular scent and gets listed on eBay too (that's how I bought mine). Worth keeping an eye out!

      Delete