Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lush Gorilla Perfumes 2012: Set In Stone - The Bug

I hardly ever enter a Lush store because the mixed smell of all those essential oil laden products simply overwhelms me. It somehow becomes this herbal chemical stuff that I can't stand. If you want to know more, here are the reasons why I am not a fan.
I happened to go a Lush store to check out the Emotional Brilliance cosmetics which I have been lusting after for a long time. When I spotted the new range of Gorilla perfumes, I proceeded to try them out, with much apprehension as I knew I would end up with a headache! The SA was very enthusiastic about them and we had a chat about how the only smell I like from Lush is Honey, I Washed The Kids. Gauging my taste, she showed me two perfumes which she thought I would like. They were Sun, a really orangey/citrus fragrance and Furze, which is a vanilla coconut smell, both of which apparently are best sellers. After spending some more time trying different ones (there are 10 new ones!) and testing a few on my skin, I walked out of the store and went on with my shopping. After getting a coffee and spending sometime at T K Maxx, I fell in love with the smell on my wrist! I did not know what Gorilla perfume it was but it smelt really nice! I went back to Lush and bought The Bug!

The new range of Gorilla perfumes from Lush is inspired by the stone circles, (the Stone Henge) and the nature and natural ingredients surrounding the stones and the English Countryside in general. Read all about them here. There are 10 perfumes, all made of natural essential oils. They come in various sizes, have different prices. I picked up The Bug in a 7 ml tiny bottle for £14.

Here is video of the launch: LushFest 2012: Set In Stone range of perfumes. People are sniffing stones! It looks like a totally bizarre New Age hippie circle in the woods, performing some kind of ceremonial chanting! Gosh, I wish I was there! I would have totally enjoyed the stone smelling thing!


The Bug: Lush says "Inspired by the paranoia of the modern age (and a track by the same name), this perfume was introduced by walking people through a dark corridor full of clips from cctv footage and glowing uv-lights. The perfume contains galbanum and black pepper."

(The Bug paranoia reminds of Ashley Judd's movie The Bug, which is a wacky psychological thriller!)

All these perfumes smell very powerful at the first sniff, very head shop like and too strong to even know what I am smelling. The Bug is no different. If I hadn't tried it on my skin, I would not even given these perfumes a second glance. The label says it has: Labdanum, Sandalwood, Elemi, Galbanum. No wonder I like it! The Bug is an arid but a warm perfume. 

The Bug is a green perfume, a really, really green perfume. It is all about Galbanum. The greenness is realistic, like sap and quite strong. It becomes softer as it progresses but it takes a long time to settle down when some more softer resins start to emerge. It turns into a dry, woody, ambery and balmy perfume. There is still a lot of powdery, green, slightly herbal galbanum. Its thick balsamic nature is so dry yet so soothing and so sensual. I want to call the dry down a dry, warm green sap, if anything like that ever exists. If you are a fan of labdanum or amber this is a must try. It reminds me of Agent Provcateur Strip and the Ambers from Prada. Those ambers with a lot of galbanum, that is how The Bug smells!

These perfumes are not for everyone (I'd never have imagined to like any of them) but I am sure they will strike a chord with many, especially Lush lovers. The perfumes are in alcohol form with a looming presence of the essential oils, which is kind of a turn off for me, as with Lush in general. I am glad I waited out till the perfume tamed on my skin. It is a nice perfume afterall. Other perfumes I liked are A Voice Of Reason, a smoky woody floral scent (it smells like cigarette smoke and flowers!), The Devil's Nightcap, a mossy floral and Flower's Barrow which is a berry floral. I don't think I'll jump to buy them before properly testing on my skin. The little bottles are cute and well priced (£10 to £20 for 7 mls, depending on the perfume). 

Because I finally liked a Lush perfume enough to buy, I also bought 2 ml set of old perfumes, the Exclusives to try out in the comfort of my home, without being surrounded by all the smells in the shop. Let's see how they fare on me!

10 comments:

  1. I agree - LUSH shops are just overwhelming! The smells are intense and I find the SAs can sometimes be a bit overbearing, as well. I do like to indulge in their bath bombs every so often, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the bath stuff feels a bit too much for me :) I can't imagine unwinding with those smells lol Yeah, SAs can be a bit pushy and overly enthusiastic at Lush.

      Delete
  2. These sounds interesting but I can't stand the smell of the Lush store when I walk past, it's very off putting. I also wish they would go 100% natural and stop using parabens & sls. To tell the truth I'd probably have an issue with the alcohol in these, find it very drying on skin. It's a shame really as I am intrigued from your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem with Lush is the smell. How can something so messy be even called a perfume?! It is enough to knock me down! I don't mind alcohol or the preservatives personally but they do project the 'natural' image and don't stand by it. I can imagine how you feel :) I do like the solid serum though, I don't think it has bad stuff. Do check out.

      Delete
  3. I think you either love the smell of a lush store or hate it...there's no inbetween. I absolutely love it. It seriously has a calming effect over me the second I walk in even though it is an intense olfactory experience. I am not sure whether these perfumes are available in australia yet. I'll have to google. If not I might 'need' you to get me some if you can Stan going into a store again! Do the new ones come in a sample pack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know you like them! I will surely send them to you. I don't think there is a sampler but I will ask and pick up whatever you like :) will email you soon x

      Delete
  4. Ps I am really glad you decided to continue blogging. I get a little excited each time I see a new post of yours pop up in my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I am so glad o hear that :) I could stay off Twitter and FB till now, but I get a bit carried away and spend too much time on blogging though :)

      Delete
  5. Me and my friend Blomma made the mistake of walking into a Lush shop in Stockholm today, we came ut with one perfume each... She bought The Devil's Nightcap (wonderfully mossy) and I bought The Voice of Reason (smells like really smoky whisky on me, and something spicy and floral). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! If there is another perfume I'll get, it will be The Voice Of Reason. I would love to hear your detailed thoughts on it. Enjoy your new perfume :) x

      Delete