Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Smell Of Smoke: Firebird Woodsmoke&Vanilla And Cinders

The smell of smoke is my most favourite natural smell in the world. Burning wood, burning leaves, campfire, woodsmoke, firewood oven, warm fireplace...... a nostalgic smell, a smell that is cozy, outdoorsy and romantic. I have always imagined how good it would be to smell like smoky firewood. Enter Firebird's Woodsmoke & Vanilla = Life Complete! It is my smoky dream come true. Ultimate comfort scent for cold weather. It feels and smells like a warm fireplace on a cold night. It is a grounded and simple scent of burning fragrant wood. Vanilla is more resinous than sweet and makes the firewood smoke soft and mild. It is such a pleasure to wear. It is so good that I want to bathe in this stuff! (Yes, they make a soap too!)

Cinders: "Burning leaves, woodsmoke, and creamy, smoky raw beeswax. This is campfires and hearth fires and a cabin in the mountains heated by wood stove and lit with candles. The smell on your clothes from tending the fire. The smell in the air after the light flickers out."
Cinders is much more complex than I imagined. It smells like beewax and maple syrup at first. On my skin, it has a kind of pine/camphor/fresh/juniper thing going on, but they are all burning! It has a fine underlay of smoke which comes out as the pine, etc. fades and the maple syrup turns into the smell of maple leaves. The result is the smell of burning maple leaves! The smell has grown on me and has become quite nice and enjoyable to wear as a perfume. It is a very realistic smell, perfect for autumn and cold weather. I advice to sample first, though I don't regret getting a full size straight away.

Firebird Bath and Body, (used to be called Flourish before) is an Etsy store with nice perfumes and awesome service. My order was here in just a week after I bought. The full size (15ml) perfume oil roll-on costs $9USD and you can get 3 samples for $5USD. They smell close to skin and need to be reapplied after a few hours which I can do with pleasure! Roll-on makes it more convenient to do so. They also have some nice looking soaps and lotions which are on my wish list.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, Cinders sounds interesting! I like beeswax and maple syrup, but I don't know about the juniper note :P Maybe I will get a sample - I've been meaning to try Firebird's lip balms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinders is nice. The more I smell it, the more I get it! That pine-y juniper note may just be my chemistry. It is brief and after that, it is all about burning maple leaves :) Sample first!
      I totally forgot about the lip balms when I placed the order and regretted later. Nice excuse to shop next time along with some soaps :D

      Delete
  2. I just ordered some lip balms, I should have ordered a sample of Cinders too. It sounds intriguing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice! I need those lip balms! I was hooked since I smelt Woodsmoke Vanilla from our sample swap. Took me only about an year to get a full size, finally :D

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I want this NOWWWWWWW. (Remembering our earlier stance against immediate gratification, lol.) I love smokey scents - and it's the reason I love drinking Scotch. I went over the top this month (again) and probably shouldn't be ordering anything right now, but I will remember this in the dead of winter and revel in it come January/February. Thanks, Su. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are welcome! Always happy to enable :D
    Both these scents are not LEs, so they'll be around for a long time! Another awesome smoky scent I think you'll like is Alkemia's (also on etsy) Smoke and Mirrors. I'll soon be getting a full bottle of that. I absolutely love smoky scents too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AGH, SU WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME! I have Woodsmoke and Vanilla and I love it so much (though it's mega strong). It takes me back to the days of my mispent youth sitting around bonfires at my relatives' country properties drinking VB and generally boganing it up. Good times, good times...

    However, I hadn't heard of Cinders. I have about 5 different perfume orders in the mail at the moment, as well as several wish lists from others, and now I must have this. GAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Woodsmoke and Vanilla is such a realistic scent! It is strong and it is unisex too, but all in a good way. Sooo good!
      Cinders is a new one. You'll like it if you like maple-y things. It is strong too but really unique. I haven't tried CB I Hate Perfume's burning leaves but these two sound similar by descriptions :)

      Delete