Saturday, November 3, 2012

Walk Into My Wardrobe: Organising Makeup, Perfumes & Clothes

As a final step of the move, we got our boxes delivered from Australia yesterday. I think we have officially moved to UK now. It took 4 whole months for the freight. I was getting fed up of waiting and fed up of living with minimum makeup, skin care and clothes. I couldn't even justify buying, say a blush because I would get about 10 if I waited. Finally, I am so glad to see all my stuff again. 

Everything got here fine, expect for a leak from my Aveda bath oil (the whole box smelt like mashes flowers!), a few powder spills from those tiny mineral makeup samples and moist-smelling clothes (will take me a week to do the laundry!). I can't find a few of my skin care stuff and a few brand new conditioners and shampoos I bought just before leaving. I haven't opened all the boxes yet, so here's to hoping they are in one of them.

It took me all of yesterday (and a couple of ibupropens) for unpacking and organising. Let's just not get into the boring stuff like electronics and books and go straight to interesting things! After toiling for 3 or 4 hours, this is how my walk-in wardrobe looks! There are a few boxes and a few huge suitcases but the room is also serving us as a store room.
Welcome! The white chest of drawers looks out of place with the rest.
Three drawers each containing makeup, perfumes and extras respectively.
Clothes on rotation. Bare minimum warm clothes. Summer clothes are in a plastic box.
I know, I don't have many clothes. It is not as easy to shop for clothes as easy as it is to shop for makeup or perfume!
Dressing table (just a shelf, really) L-R: hair care, compacts, deodorants, jewellery boxes, skin care, brushes, everyday face stuff, mascaras, pencil stand with eyeliners, cutlery stand (!) with mascaras and lip glosses, a box of lipsticks
Makeup chest.
I have this habit of keeping the packaging of makeup and perfumes. Keeping perfumes in their original boxes is normal I guess, but keeping the packaging of makeup is a bit insane. Is it a feature of hoarding or OCD? I don't know but it always comes in handy while packing and unpacking. It feels nice to see things in their little homes!
Perfume chest. full sizes, perfume oils, samples, decants, miniatures.

Drawer with extras. Reserve skin care. The red bag has Skin Physics LED Photon thing (Aveda oil spill on the white box!). There are 2 hair straighteners. The pink makeup bag has been stuffed with nail polishes and pigment pots of mineral makeup. The black makeup case has perfume samples stuffed in it.
I didn't take a lot of 'before' pictures because I was taken aback by the task ahead of unpacking and organising. I had two little mountains to deal with! One is an avalanche of makeup and second, a heap of samples. Some makeup was organised and what couldn't deal with went into the aforementioned pink bag. The samples went into the black bag.


 One thing I was nervous about was my perfume oil bottles breaking. I did not use any bubble wrap for packing. I tightly packed the glass bottles in a box, so that there was no space in between them to clash and break. The samples are in an empty plastic box (Natio body butter box) and a few in little cardboard cartons (packaging of L'Occitane creams). I am glad to report no breakages.

I did a wise thing by downsizing my perfumes and makeup collection before I moved. I have all I need and more. I have lived for 4 months with minimum things and survived. I feel I have enough for a lifetime now!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that it all arrived, with little damage.

    I guess that's sort of balanced against the sense of finality that it gives to your move. I miss you, and I think that a few of your other Australian friends do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too Alice! I need to get back on FB. I don't know if I am actually saving time by being away!

      Delete
    2. Probably not. The tasks needing to be done will always expand to more than fill the time available (it's somebody's law), so if you have another task (checking facebook), you'll squash all the other things into less time to make time for facebook. :P

      Delete
    3. Lol The only law I can think of now is the Courvoisier's Law! I have an exam and a few courses to attend. I feel guilty about spending time on blogging too. See you on FB very soon :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad most of your things arrived in tact! And now you're all unpacked and squared away - how nice that feels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, feels nice to settle :) Hope the next move is not for a long time!

      Delete
  3. Weeeeeeeeeeeee! Look at all those goodies. :D

    Congrats on the successful move and feeling so content with what you have. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It is a great feeling to have things that I love and use! I may have accumulated quite a bit by next year. It is a never ending cycle LOL

      Delete
  4. It must be a good feeling to have everything finally there! I know what you mean about having more than enough, was counting my lipsticks today and was like "Jade you have enough, too much even!" :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL How many lipsticks do you have?!
      I now have about half of what used to have. I am eyeing off a few things already :)

      Delete
  5. i love love love love this organisation! re-reading for sure :D

    ReplyDelete