Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Perfume Synopsis 2012

On personal note, 2012 was a year of uncertainty, followed by hope, followed by confusion and more uncertainty. We moved, we settled and we are moving again in 2013 (just locally this time, but still). I sold most of my unloved perfumes, gave away the rest to friends and family and I was left with a manageable collection of perfumes I love and wear. I also made some big ticket purchases. In spite of having new fabulous perfumes as well as old favourites, I haven't worn a lot of perfume, variety wise. I have been sticking to a few and worn them on rotation. Yeah, it is dripping with scented irony and all.

I have kind of blacked out on what I wore for the first six months, before I moved from Australia to England. It seems so long ago because a lot has happened since then. Looking back and reading from this blog, I seem to have worn Agent Provocateur Strip, BPAL Womb Furie, Bvlgari Jasmin Noir a lot.

Then I moved and carried only two perfumes with me, Kiehl's Musk Oil and BPAL Snake Oil, packed and sent off the rest while holding my breath for their safe arrival. I wore these two continuously for 5 weeks that spent in India. Loved every minute of it, the stay and wearing the perfumes. I wore them so much that my mother complained that all the clothes in the house smelt of my scent days after I left! Some powerful stuff! Then I bought By Kilian Back To Black. Love it, wore it a lot and I am going the second refill. I'll get these refills as long as I can. Another favourite from the line is 'Love - Don't Be Shy'. It smells like upmarket orange blossom flavoured marshmallows! 'Yes, please' for refills!

Through the summer, The Body Shop Amazonian Wild Lily took care of me. It is a light, fresh, watery floral perfect to keep cool and smell feminine. I fell in love with Honey again and again, discovered many indie perfumes on the way. I bought my first Lush. Finally I got this gorgeous set to finish the year off.

I totally forgot my second blog birthday which was in July! Can't believe it has been such a long time!

Just like last year, counting the money spent on perfume..... sigh... comes to £636 + AU$277 = US$1,313. As much as last year but I also sold some of my stuff, so kind of makes me feel better. But imagine the year where I will not buy any perfume at all! That is a saving of thousand odd dollars and having the satisfaction of using up and enjoying every perfume I have! Ideal world, no?! In that attempt, I am starting a new blog series of reviewing every perfume sample I have got for one whole year. It is similar to what Dee is doing. Watch this space for details!

13 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I don't want to total up the money I spent! Next year will have to be better for everyone! Must cut down. I'm not sure I could go back and figure out what I wore through the year - so fickle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't total up! It will eat you up alive :D

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, summing up my perfume year, my first perfume year really, at least I can say it wasn´t very expensive... I stuck to cheap indie, samples and decants! Perfumes that I wore the most, ummm, probably SteamBathFactory's Conservatory and some vintage decants (most notable of which were L'Heure Bleue, Moment Supreme and Bal à Versaille). I´ll most defintely be buying perfume in the coming year, I don´t have a stash yet! Hmmm, so no one-perfume-a-day for me, maybe one review a week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an amazing year, Nadja! Do I see an addiction coming? :D I'll be very interested in reading your reviews :)
      I love your choice of vintages. Wish one day, I'll develop a taste for vintages.

      Delete
    2. I´m definitely in the middle of a raging obsession! So addiction is surely the next step in my descent (pun intended) into olfactory madness (not that I´m complaining, mind you)! I have 30 samples coming my way right now, so that is the beginning of my stash right there! I do wish to try more vintages too, maybe as a birthday present for myself... :)

      Delete
    3. That's how it begins! Before you know you'll be flooded with samples from everywhere (some from me, very soon :)) and won't have the time to smell them all!

      Delete
    4. What an utterly wonderful problem to have! <3

      Delete
    5. I just went crazy and ordered a set of five samples from Slumberhouse... I took the huge step from cheap indie to semi-expensive indie! Oh this is bad! That puts the total at 35 samples and maybe some extras (+ any you grace me with <3)... all set to arrive within the next month... If I continue like this I´ll have a sizeable stash in no time... o_O

      Don´t Panic! *deep breath*

      Yeah, still an utterly wonderful problem to have!

      Delete
    6. Haha, that should keep you busy for a while :)

      Delete
  3. What a year Su! I bought a few perfumes this year, a couple of blind buys from s-net and a few HOGs, between you and Dee and your sniff a day projects, I'm sure 2013 will cause me to buy a lot more ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what perfumes did you get? Please do a similar post of how 2012 has been scent wise :)
      We will tempt you into a lot of perfumes for sure! I don't know how I'll resist all of Dee's reviews!!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I like this retrospective look back. :) It's also interesting to note how our tastes can change over time, through different locations and climates. Good luck with your 2013 project, Su! I can't wait to see the end results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still wish I did variety. Yes, interesting to know that both my choices for Indian hot ish months were 'heavy' ones. Thanks :)

      Delete