Tuesday, January 1, 2013

S-A-D #1: BPAL 'Goona Goona'

Sample-A-Day Review: Day #1
Goona Goona
BPAL
Voodoo Blends
General Catalogue
Discontinued since 2004
"A soft, sweet peace and harmony blend. Used to create an atmosphere of compassion, understanding, trust and love. This is particularly useful in mediation, calming tense or volatile situations, and in strengthening relationships."

This is the oldest perfume oil sample I have. It is well aged, well stored and dates from around 2002. Being so old, it really is like a time capsule. Whenever I smell this, I get this memory flash of what I was doing in 2002. Not that I had this perfume then or wore it, but just the 'oldness' of it amuses me. It is only ten years old but 2002 seems like a totally different era of my life. Perfect scent to start off S-A-D for 2013, reminiscing about the past and looking forward to the future! Here is to a happy and hopeful 2013 for everyone!

This is a 'tarted imp' from back when BPAL focussed on Voodoo/magick stuff. The tarted style looks a bit 'Blair Witch Project'-y. I love the style and the handwritten labels. Goona Goona is a voodoo blend for peace and harmony. The jury is still out on all the effects of magick but if it needs you to believe for it to work, then go figure! Purely based on the smell:

First I get rose, it is very strong rose. Dry, old, red rose, very much like essential oil than a perfume. Underneath the rose, lurks what maybe called the remnants of what was once a strong spice. I call it remnants because the age of the perfume may have affected its sharpness of spice, making it mild and 'boiled down'. It is somewhat like the spices of mulled wine, not boozy but the in the way the spices are toned down. When I say spices I can't pick out a particular spice, but it leans towards nutmeg/cinnamon. It is very transient and disappears in a heartbeat. Again, it could be because of the age of the sample. Other than that, Goona Goona is a full of rose, strong at first and then dries down to something similar to Black Phoenix. It stays for just a couple of hours on my skin. I am not fond of rose in general, especially the kind in Goona Goona. Not the kind of scent I would go for, even if it wasn't discontinued.

14 comments:

  1. This perfume sounds really nice :) I love the fact that it's old and like a capsule. I took out a perfume today that's still boxed up from 10 years ago - the Dior Dune perfume that my mom got in 2002 as well. It's also like a capsule.. smells really amazing and more potent than it had been before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely! I bet you have tons of memories associated with it. It is so magical! Enjoy your perfume :) x

      Delete
  2. Woo, those BPALs must age really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it has aged well enough but it is just the kind of rose that I don't like.

      Delete
  3. As you know I´m not one for rose either... but I still love the thougt of such an aged perfume oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ageing is so interesting, most of the time, it eats away all the sharpness and you are left with a full bodies blend. Something like wine!

      Delete
    2. Which is totally OK with me, as I hate sharpness in a perfume! Though sometimes that sharpness is the whole point of a perfume, and then it´s sad if such things are lost...

      Delete
    3. That part is tricky with ageing. Also depends on how it is stored. So many samples in my stash have gone 'off' too.

      Delete
  4. I like rose, but I like fresh rose - bits of greenery in them. Any mention of "spice" and I'm out, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, 'freshly plucked rose where I can still smell the greenness of the stem' is my favourite kind of rose too! I don't mind the right spice with it though... :)

      Delete
  5. From the description of the perfume, I would not have expected rose as an ingredient.

    Looking forward to your daily posts with much excitement. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm Voodoo/Hoodoo blends supposedly use rose for all 'pleasant' things like peace, attracting the person you like, casting a spell on people..... There are blends like Follow Me Boy which use rose! Doubt if it will work for rose haters like me :D

      Delete
  6. Doesn't sound like my kind of scent, but than again, I like only one rose scent so far, a rose vanilla one from Wiggle perfumes.

    Happy New Year Su! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! <3
      Oh, the rose vanilla sounds awesome! I have to see if I have that. I do like Rose with a bit of sweet though, like Turkish Delight but with lot less sweet :)

      Delete