Thursday, January 10, 2013

S-A-D #10 & #11: Twyla Perfumes

The Spirit Of Christmas Past and Pan de Muerto y Chocolate
Lovely Dee decanted them for me in the cutest little bottles ♥
Sample A Day Review: Day #10
The Spirit of Christmas Past 
Limited Edition for Christmas
"White Chocolate Cognac Creme: a creamy, sweet yet wistfully delicate blend of massoia bark, pressed flowers, and french white cognac"

Wow, this is delightful! It smells like flowers and cognac! The flowers are really delicate in this one. There is booze but it is so mild. It is also creamy but so light! The cream and cognac give the white chocolate effect. The flowers lighten it up further to make it very pretty. It smells like delicate white flowers infused into light creamy cognac! It is a beautiful feminine perfume, not too foody and easy to wear. 

Sample A Day Review: Day #11
Pan de Muerto y Chocolate 
Twyla Perfumes and Apothecary
Limited Edition for Halloween
"Pan de muerto is a traditional bread baked in celebration of The Day of the Dead, decorated with bone-shaped bread symbolizing the loss of loved ones, often eaten with Mexican hot chocolate.  Cacao absolute, blood-orange, anise, and baking spices" 

Oh, is deep, dark, delicious chocolate! So heady that it takes me straight to chocolate heaven! It is just like intense chocolate, not really sweet but very rich. The intensity of the chocolate is accompanied by a lighter orange note. I don't get any spices but I do get anise. It is like a fine quality chocolate liquorice. In the dry down, the chocolate is bitter with an earthy undertone. This is awesome. The staying power of PdMyC is slightly better than TSoCP (you know what they stand for!). Both last about on hour on my skin.
Purity in the meniscus!
See how this perfume is in two layers, i.e biphasic? It is because of the immiscibility of the watery dark chocolate and the clear carrier oil. (Like dissolves like! And oil floats on water due to its density and forms a meniscus due to surface tension. Chemistry and physics!) 
I've been told sometime back with regards to another body oil that if perfumes with chocolate do this, it means two things. 
1. Cocoa Absolute is pure stuff. It is a water soluble essence and therefore does not dissolve in oil. 
2. There are no additives like chemical solubilisers/emulsifiers to mix the oil and absolute, therefore no unnecessary chemicals! 
As good as it gets! It mixes well when shaken and goes on nicely on the skin. I think it is fun to see how they both mix and then separate when they settle! I am a bit mesmerised! I would avoid it on white clothes though.

24 comments:

  1. Another excellent review! I love the blend of art & science. Thank you again! <3

    PS - Oh, and to extend longevity if your skin likes to eat oils - moisturize like crazy! It will prevent your skin from soaking up the scent too quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure :)
      I am like a sponge because I have very dry skin! I will keep that in mind and put on an extra layer of body butter when I wear these perfumes :)

      Delete
    2. That's me in the horrendously drying Winters here in Chicago, too! I'm dehydrating as we speak...
      I'm working on scented lotions at the moment that will have a base-scent each, to enhance various blends. A cacao one, a patchouli one, etc. They should help with longevity too!

      Delete
    3. That is exciting news! Can't wait for the lotions! Even better if they are complementary :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen quite a few reviews on Twyla's scents lately...I am intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these perfumes are worth all the rave :)

      Delete
  3. If I enjoyed chocolate scents I would definitely try these, but I have a love/hate relationship with chocolate in perfume... Sometimes it is nice, but most of the time there is just somethimng about it that is off-putting to me... But I love that the cacao separates from the rest, it is just so neat and pretty! And I love the different colors of all my sample oils (just got a huge sampler from Enchanticals, my sample stash is now in the thirties)! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it depends on the kind of chocolate you are after. I remember you said that you liked dark chocolate. The second one is very much like one of those 75% dark chocolates :) Would love to see you sampler haul!

      Delete
    2. How much I enjoy chocolate in a scent also depends very much on how it interacts with the other notes, so it´s a hit and miss business... The anise in the second one makes me think that I might like that one though. I´m painstakingly going trough my haul now, scent for scent... They all arrived at the same time, so it´s a bit overwhelming really. But I´m getting there, and then I´ll blog about it!

      Delete
    3. Oh yay! Can't wait to see your haul :) Take your time! x

      Delete
  4. Ahaha, thank you for the link, Su! :) That's very cool! I've noticed some of my perfumes to this, too - can't remember which at the moment. TSoCP sounds interesting! I'm not sure I know what cognac tastes/smells like...but white chocolate usually gets me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like dissolves like! Love it :)
      Cognac is quite boozy, but refined :)

      Delete
  5. White Chocolate cognac creme, that sounds just delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you'd like those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do! You know me so well :D

      Delete
  7. I hope she remakes The Spirit of Christmas Past next year because I totally want a bottle of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twyla is giving away a dram of Christmas Past with every order over $35 till Sunday! Check Facebook her page!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info! I just liked her FB page. I can't buy anything for a while thought. I spent all my perfume money!

      Delete
    3. Ah that's ok, I'll have to wait for a week or so to place an order too :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. oh it is! Love how delicate it is:)

      Delete
  9. Oh my these sound so lovely arghhh!

    ReplyDelete