Thursday, January 24, 2013

S-A-D #18: Sweet Anthem 'Colin'

Sample A Day Review: Day #18
Colin
Solid Perfume
Sweet Anthem
Limited Edition
"Thick air of cardamom, incense, and myrrh set the stage for many a-ghostly and storied song, and provides asylum for spice-laden spectors who steal sweet maidens into the dead of night.
Amber, Benzoin, Cardamom, Frankincense, Honey, Myrrh"

Colin is a beautiful perfume. It is sweet and rich. First, I get ambery cream and then I get lots of honey and a good amount of cardamom. The combination of amber and benzoin smells like milk cream on my skin. The cream is quite thick and very milky, just like the smell of sweetened condensed milk. Honey and cardamom make it more edible. I don't get any incense or myrrh. It is so yummy that I want to eat this! I love milky scents and I think I hit a jackpot here because of how my skin makes it smell milky. I have worn it many times and the more I wear it, it is starting to get a bit too foody for me. If my skin didn't amp the milkiness so much and amber/benzoin came out as two distinct notes, it would have been more interesting. Colin is a really nice perfume and really like wearing it, but in moderation.

The solid perfume has a nice texture. It spreads well on the skin without feeling greasy. It is convenient to carry around to top up as and when required. As with solid perfumes in general, the exciting transition from top to middle notes is lost but the drydown is good and the scent stays for a few hours on me. The sample is pretty generous and I will use it up till I get bored of it.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely! I adore cardamom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about cardamom! I think you'll like it because it is foody with the edge of amber and benzoin :)

      Delete
  2. "It is so yummy that I want to eat this!" - this is exactly what I am thinking when reading your description :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is! Good way to experience creamy without actually having to eat it :)

      Delete
  3. Another thumbs up for cardamom! I just put in my first order with Sweet Anthem recently. I'm trying to be very judicious and selective about the brands I'm trying lately (as you know), and the reviews for them have been good...so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Lately I´m going for all the ones that I can´t seem to find many reviews about... ;)

      Delete
    2. That's certainly another way to go about it, maybe that's what I should be doing! I guess it boils down to whether you want to take the red pill or the blue pill, lol!

      Delete
    3. Liber Vix, that is great! Would love to know your thoughts on Sweet Anthem perfumes. They make great ones :) Good choice with the brand too!
      Nadja, I agree! Let's all put in a good word for less known awesome brands and the people behind it :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I love the scent description, and it sounds rather delightful by your review! Hmm, I may have to add a sample of this to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent is really nice :) I think it is an LE but worth checking out with Sweet Anthem first.

      Delete
  5. An odd name for a perfume.

    I have little experience with solid perfumes - I've only ever tried a couple from The Morbid The Merrier. Would you say they have better or worse sillage and lasting power generally than perfume oils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Sweet Anthem perfumes have 'names' like people's first names!

      With this solid perfume, the lasting power is for a few hours on me, say 3 hours. Sillage is close to the skin. Both staying power and sillage are less compared to the liquid perfumes of the same brand but compared to other solid perfumes it is a tad more. Most solid perfumes last less than 2 hours on me.

      Delete
  6. This has so many notes that I love in the description!
    I haven't tried Sweet anthem ,like so many other companies you have reviewed. I think I am stuck to the same perfume companies for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am kind of stuck too! I want to branch out and try so many new brands that my list is beginning to scare me :) Sweet Anthem is worth trying. I have many samples from the brand and they are all well made perfumes :)

      Delete
  7. I think we gravitate toward different Sweet Anthem scents :) But that makes it fun! I get to hear about the ones that I can't wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story or our lives, Larie, story of our lives :D

      Delete
  8. Sounds delish, I'm such a sucker for foody scents :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy! Smells like condensed milk, so delicious :D

      Delete