Saturday, January 5, 2013

S-A-D #5: BPAL 'Miskatonic University'

Sample A Day Review: Day #5
Miskatonic University
General Catalogue
Impable
"A venerable New England university, whose vast library holds many rare, diabolical and obscure arcane works, including one of the few surviving legitimate copies of the Necronomicon. Home to innumerable scholars of the esoteric and the occult, and the notorious Dr. Herbert West. 
The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls."

This is the smell of coffee and dust! Really interesting combination, unlike anything I have smelt before. It begins with a very nice coffee note. It is freshly brewed coffee. There is no milk or cream in the coffee, not even sugar. Very realistic, like an eye opening drink in the morning. There is a hint of booze (not a good idea for an eye opening drink). Booze is mild but it is there. This coffee is accompanied by something dust-like from the very beginning. It smells old. It is a bit mouldy but not really wet. It smells like dry, dusty, unventilated/uninhabited room. But how did fresh Irish coffee get there? Spooky! This is on my full bottle list.

16 comments:

  1. I think I tend not to like coffee in perfumes - it makes me feel slightly sick. But maybe that's just the sweet stuff. Maybe dark roasts would smell better? I like the idea of this, though! I wish sometimes my sense of what should smell good to me and what actually does would mesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I can understand. This one is surely not for you. But it is nice to try it only to smell that old dust, just for smelling sake, not for wearing it :)

      Delete
  2. This one is on my to sample list, because as a soon to be librarian I am a bit of a bibliomaniac... I want to sample every old books/paper/library scent there is out there! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it! Orris Root absolute smells very much like clean powdery paper :)

      Delete
    2. Nadja, you should try Solstice Scents' Library from their Manor Collection; it is the library of my dreams :)

      Delete
    3. Liber Vix: That one is on my list too! I already have a full size Conservatory by Steam Bath Factory! I´ve been so happy with that scent that I haven´t felt the need to sample more... But I will, there are other scents out there just waiting to be discovered!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great scent for winter! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great for winter! I love coffee scents for cold weather :)

      Delete
  4. Usually, I don't like coffee scents but this one is on my list to buy a full bottle too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is lovely! It is a nice quirky scent to have anyways :)

      Delete
  5. I don't have that one anymore, but when I did I don't remember getting any coffee from it - I could have sworn it was chocolatey. How weird. I did like it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sent it to me I think! Oh interesting, I would not have had a problem if it smelt like chocolate either!!

      Delete
  6. This scent sounds absolutely bizarre but it makes so much sense that coffee should be right up there with dusty tomes. Count me as intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So bizarre! I like the dusty part of it so much :D

      Delete
  7. Super strange! Are we smelling the same imp!? I know we are but I get cream, nuts and oakwood while you get coffee and dust. That´s so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is weird but in a nice way! I guess it is our skin playing tricks on us :D

      Delete