Monday, January 7, 2013

S-A-D #7: L'Aromatica 'Kulfi'

Sample A Day Review: Day # 7
Kulfi
"Based on a very popular Indian dessert of the same name. It’s rich and creamy with a hint of spice. A handmade saffron-infused oil is added to this blend.   
Notes: Cardamom, Vanilla Bean, Coconut, Sandalwood, Saffron.   
Fragrance Family: Gourmand, Sweet, Spicy."

Saffron Kulfi from Tamana, Newtown, Sydney.
Kulfi is an Indian ice cream dessert. It is basically very rich and sweetened frozen milk-cream, flavoured with indian spices like cardamom, saffron or nuts like almonds and pistachios or seasonal fruit like mango. I love Kulfi and have eaten a lot of it. Kulfi is exotic for the hotter South, where I am from (Kulfi originated in the freezing Himalayan region) and I don't have a traditional recipe. I wish I did! The best Kulfi I have tasted is the 'Matka Kulfi' which is Kulfi frozen in earthen pots using the best milk cream. It is so rich and releases all these wonderful flavours as it melts in the mouth!

L'Aromatica's Kulfi is a really good interpretation of the dessert. It is all about cardamom. It begins with a very pleasant note of the spice, very close to real cardamom. It has a nice freshness without being sharp. It comes with a lovely cream note, very milky and so delicious! It is sweet but it has enough fresh cardamom to cut through all of the cream. Saffron is too delicate for all the cardamom. It has the feeling of coolness to it, again due to the beautiful cardamom. It is just like what real kulfi tastes and feels! There are hints of coconut and sandalwood in the dry down. It is a foody scent but a very wearable perfume with enough depth. It lasts for a few hours and stays close to the skin.

Kulfi is a sensational perfume. I love the unique concept and how well it translates into the perfume. It is also the best cardamom perfume I have tried. Thanks to Olfactory Obsessed for the wonderful recommendation.  Loreto, who makes these great perfumes is very friendly and I have had a nice experience buying samples from her Etsy store. Highly recommend getting a sample and testing out. I need to get a full bottle of this!

13 comments:

  1. Indian desserts always look for very tasty wish I could have dairy I imagine this is lovely. Interesting that you now have a perfume that is similar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bummer that you can't have any :( Jalebi is lactose free. It is like a funnel cake made of lentils flour fried in oil and dipped in sugar syrup. You can pretty much get an idea of flavours :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds absolutely delish!! I´d love to eat it and I´d love to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a delight to eat and wear :)

      Delete
  3. That looks interesting! I haven't tried anything from L'aromatica. I have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do have a look. I have two other samples which are good too but I liked this one the best :)

      Delete
  4. Can cardamom also have a savory aspect? I have a Solstice Scents lotion that has lots of cardamom in it, and it is a bit savory on my skin...almost like a stew or something. I'm not sure I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm cardamom is like a fresh spice. I am sure you know as you bake a lot. It is used in savoury cooking like pilau rice. By itself it doesn't have any saltiness/savouriness but it does have a 'bite' to it. Is the lotion from SS is the gingerbread one? Then it may be the ginger and cardamom turning on your skin :( I wouldn't like to smell like a stew either.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is! Perhaps it is the ginger + cardamom combination. I thought I remembered cardamom but I haven't baked with it in a long time! It is quite pricey!

      Delete
  5. Okay, added that shop (and that perfume) to my future sample shopping list! Also going to keep an eye out for kulfi from now on - that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth trying!
      And Kulfi is well worth eating. Beyond India in North Adelaide has it. Also try Malai Kofta while you are there! I miss that place.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, Beyond India is my go to for Indian take away - their Barrah Kebab is my faaaaaaavourite thing ever! I will have to see if they do kulfi as a take away thing too. :-D

      Oh, and I have tried their Malai Kofta as well. YUM!

      Delete
    3. My mouth is watering now :D

      Delete