Wednesday, January 9, 2013

S-A-D #9 Twyla Perfumes 'Dryad'

Sample A Day Review: Day #9
Dryad
Twyla Perfumes and Apothecary
Nonpareil blends
General Catalogue
Samples available
"A beautiful, truly unisex, androgynous woodsy blend with the unique and very complex poplar bud absolute, pine scotch, sweet amber, honey absolute, bourbon vanilla, immortelle, tarragon absolute and resins and a few drops of my very special vintage, 20 year-old patchouli. Redolent of a lush, green and ancient forest."

First sniff, it smells very pine-y but the kind of pine that is very natural and fresh from the tree. Pine has a tinge of eucalyptus on my skin. It also has a very slight herbal greenery (tarragon?). I am not really a fan of pine but I am HUGE fan of what comes minutes later. The resins! How beautiful! I can't pin point the resins because they are so perfectly blended. I get a concoction of rich vanillaic/amber/balsamic/labdanum/benzoin/honey and all those gorgeous things. It has a beautiful warmth and a light boozy tone which is like honey in bourbon vanilla. All of this grounded by a nice earthiness. It settles very well on the skin. I just love the drydown of this. It does have the lingering pine note but doesn't bother me anymore. It smells so cozy and comfortable. I dabbed this perfume on the back of my hand before I went to bed yesterday and I could smell the vanilla till I showered today. Great staying power.

I have a perfume from Nocturne Alchemy called Netherworld. It is my all time favourite resinous perfume. Unfortunately, it is a limited edition from 2008. It is quite similar to Dryad's dry down minus the pine. Dryad is taking its place and topping my favourites list once I finish the bottle of Netherworld.

As always, Dee is really lovely to share her sample with me. As always, consider myself enabled! I want a full bottle of this at some point but right now, can't wait to try ALL of Twyla's perfumes! Ordering soon!

13 comments:

  1. I am eyeing her site a couple of weeks now. These new scents for Valentine sound promising…
    If I order sometime I am definitely going to add Dryad ,it sounds something I would like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the perfumes from Twyla sound amazing! I want to try all those florals. Dryad is so lovely, I love it for the depth. Interested to hear how you go with it :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for such a lovely review (i hope i don't seem stalker-y, i just had some referrals coming in from your site and wanted to check it out)!

    Just so you are aware, i offer a free extra sample for first-time customers of whatever scent you choose :).

    Have a great day,
    Twyla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Twyla,
      I am delighted to see your comment! I will be placing an order soon to try some of your amazing florals. Nice to know I can choose an extra sample. Thank you :) x

      Delete
    2. Hooray! You're very welcome - i hope you love your smellies :)

      Delete
  3. I though that I´d love this when Dee mentioned it a while back, now I know I´ll love it! I´ll have to buy some samples from Twyla soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it - that was pretty much the only one that didn't do it for me. Way too much else of Twyla's to love, though. I feel like 2013 is going to be my Year of Bankruptcy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S-A-D was supposed to be no buy for a year! Can't see that working out! Need all the Twyla perfumes soon :)

      Delete
  5. Love the sound of this! Dryad is such a lovely name for it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out only after I tried the perfume that Dryad means tree spirit goddess! How very whimsical :)

      Delete
  6. The bottle design is something extra ordinary. I want one! :)

    pheromone cologne

    ReplyDelete