Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Alchemical Phoenixes

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab comes up with limited blends of perfume oils every year to commemorate the Lab's anniversary. There are so many 'Phoenixes' which is a reminder of how long BPAL has been around. These are hard to find and quite a hit with collectors. I could get my hands on some decants and sniffies, thanks to lovely Dee. It is really nice to know and experience what they smell like though I wouldn't be hunting these down to get full bottles. Here are my brief thoughts on the Phoenixes.

Copper Phoenix
BPAL Anniversary 2009/2010
Limited Edition
Rose-infused dark amber, with sweet orange, honey, cardamom, patchouli, apricot, pink pepper, and red sandalwood
in the imp, it is fresh and sweet, not sugary-sweet but a freshly-squeezed-orange sweet. Orange is refreshing with a dash of honey and hint of fresh pink pepper. It dries down to a combination of powdery amber and sandalwood while still retaining the freshness of sweet orange. A lovely combination.

Red Phoenix
BPAL anniversary 2005
Limited Edition
A celebration of three years of decadence, determination, death and rebirth. Red musk, tonka, Chinese cassia, mandarin, patchouli, benzoin, wild plum and tobacco
A very prominent musk to begin with, the Lab's famous Red Musk note. Rich deep and very sensual. On the skin a smoky tobacco note emerges followed by a flash of something a light spicy note which could be the cinnamon-y cassia bark. The cinnamon becomes very smooth and blends well into the mildly boozed benzoin. The dry down is a cinammony musk, very warm, kind of delicious!

Wood Phoenix
BPAL Anniversary 2008
Limited Edition
Flexibility, cooperation, expansiveness, and altruism: Chinese musk and five woods with newly budding bamboo shoots, hyssop, chamomile, pink clove, magnolia, walnut, and fig.
A sweet and fresh musk in the imp. On the skin it becomes very green. I get bamboo shoots and green fig with a blast of magnolia. It is a fresh green clean floral and the musk element adds a perfume-y dimension to it. It is very nice and reminds me of Sweet Anthem's Anastasia.

Water Phoenix
BPAL Anniversary 2008
Limited Edition
Compassion, eloquence, introspection: Chinese musk and rain, with salty oceanic notes, frankincense, juniper berry, lily of the valley, lavender, cinquefoil, and sweet pea.
Smells very fresh in the vial. It does smell like rain and salt water. Incense adds a cool touch. The floral element is nice though I can't pick out any flower in particular. The juniper berry is a bit much for my taste and same with lavender but I understand why they are here and they do blend well with rest of the fresh concoction. It is a fresh skin scent and a delightful one. It is like the upscale and well made version of generic 'China Rain' like perfumes. Perfect for summer.

Phoenix In Summer
Seasonal Phoenix 2010/11
Limited Edition
The Phoenix soars through a summer thunderstorm: Nepalese amber, galangal, red musk, saffron, ozone, and the scent of hot rain striking pavement
I only have a sniffie of this, which means it is an empty vial just enough to get the feel of the scent. It smells powdery in the vial, that must be the amber.  It does smell somewhat like cement/footpath but it is too little smelling experience to put a finger on it. There must have been an interesting scent in this vial.

Pink Phoenix
BPAL Anniversary 2005
Limited Edition
Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry
Another sniffie thingie. This is very sweet in the vial. Powdery honey, very juicy strawberries. It smells somewhat like strawberry coulis syruped in honey instead of sugar. It is not repulsively sweet though. If I had a bottle, I would go with an occasional dab or two.

10 comments:

  1. Some of these sound really intriguing! I like the concept of Phoenix in Summer and Red Phoenix just sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could smell more of Phoenix in Summer. It is definitely an interesting one :)

      Delete
  2. This is a really cool concept! I especially like the sound of the copper one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coppe Phoenix is really fresh and nice. It is somewhat like Lush 1000 Kisses but more depth :)

      Delete
  3. Wood and Water sound amazing! I have some BPAL samples that need wading through when I'm finally done with papers. Maybe I can sniff along to your reviews later if I come across the same ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember you got a bunch of BPALs to try! Please do review some so that I can add a few more to my sniffing list :)

      Delete
  4. Great reviews Su as always:) These blends sound very complex! I only have some anniversary decants from last year. Leather phoenix, phoenix at dusk and phoenix at midday. All smell very nice but no one made it to my full bottle list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your decants sound nice, especially Leather Phoenix. I do agree, the ones I tried are nice but I am not sure if they are nice enough for me to buy full bottles.

      Delete
  5. Water phoenix sounds rather refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water Phoenix smells like rain water, so good!

      Delete