Monday, April 1, 2013

Frederic Malle: L'Eau D'Hiver

Spring, the doomsday for snowmen
Source: gocomics.com
L'eau D'Hiver, 'the water of winter' is more of a 'waiting for daffodils' kind of scent than a cold winter one. It makes me think of the last few days of winter: the thawing snow, days getting longer, anticipation of spring flowers and warmth slowly creeping into chilly days. L'eau D'Hiver is so delicate and fragile like freshly melted snow.
"A fragrance entirely one's own –– clean, crisp, but  also warm, an endless source of reassurance. The transparence of water binds with the softness of white heliotrope, iris and honey for the gentlest composition imaginable." Frederic Malle

This is my first close encounter with Heliotrope, both as a note and otherwise, not having smelt the flowers in real life. I find Heliotrope in this to be quite powdery but with a 'bite' of something anisic/almond/cherry-like. Not that these are palpably present here but I get that sensation, perhaps due to the Heliotropin. It reminds me of the beginning of Lolita Lempica, only heliotrope takes a fresh powdery direction in this rather than a totally different sweet one that it takes in Lolita Lempica. The heliotrope blends with clean, cold Iris and fresh, green Angelica giving the illusion of a cool water. It is transparent indeed. It is powdery but the powder is so gentle, more like pollen covering the dew laden fresh flowers. In the dry down the heliotrope diffuses and remains as a soft powder, blended with cold, dry iris and even softer musk. This stage it reminds me of Infusion d'Iris of Prada which I love with all my heart but L'eau D'Hiver is crisper, more delicate and more watery.

L'Eau D'Hiver is a real pleasure to wear. It is light, sheer and gracefully feminine. It stays for a long time on me but stays close to the skin making it even more delicate and enjoyable. It is a perfect springtime perfume. I can see myself wearing this a lot in this transition month from cold to warm weather and also for much needed freshness in the heat. I am loving every drop of my 5ml miniature that came in a coffret. If I could afford, I would buy a full bottle right away. 

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful review! I used to love L'eau D'Hiver but then I overdosed another scent, centered around angelica. After that the angelica in L'eau D'Hiver stood out like a blinking neon sign in a Japanese pond. Fortunately, these things pass, so one day I'm sure that me and L'eau D'Hiver will be friends again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Ah, what an experience! I can see why though, Angeliques Sous la Pluie from FM has a huge dose of angelica and it overwhelms me a bit. I will remember to use it with caution :) I do hope it passes for you and you can enjoy L'eau D'Hiver one day!

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I love that thawing stage of winter. Those snowmen can DIE. LOL

    I'm really liking watery scents lately. Seasonal, you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha love it! Yes, all I want is warm sunny days!
      I love watery scents too maybe because I am tired of winter and living it up with summery light florals! I know you are too :)

      Delete
  3. Holy crap, this sounds beautiful! You are such a good writer, Su- I feel like I was able to smell this just by your description <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Rachel :) It is the perfume that is bringing out the romantic in me :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with Rachel you described it so well! I haven't smelt this one but Jean-Claude Ellena is one of my favorite perfumers.I am sure I will like this one!
    I really want to buy a Frederic Malle coffret like yours some day. I went to their boutique once but I put so many at the same time that I was so confused at the end. But I do remember that I liked things that I never thought I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Amanda! They are all such nice perfumes :) As wonderful as it was to get the coffret, I still think samples would have been a better idea. I could have saved my cash for the full bottles of ones I love.

      Delete