Thursday, May 23, 2013

Alkemia: Naiad Ambre III

Alkemia Perfumes
Perfume Oil
"An exquisitely alluring blend of dew soaked orris roots and pale irises bathed in cool rivulets of aquatic amber with a whisper of Japanese incense."

Okay so, there is much more than a whisper of incense. I smell a lot of incense, a holy and head shop-like incense followed by amber. I have never smelt an 'aquatic amber' before and from what I smell in this, it is really lovely. Amber is a bit balmy but unlike the regular vanillaic/cistus based/powdery/perfume-y amber, it is light. The combination of incense and amber smells unusually fresh and crisp. This phase of strong incense seems endless, but it is kind of addictive and I can't stop smelling it. Underneath this glaring but beautiful incense, emerges the orris root. It is somewhat cold, rooty and metallic, only slightly powdery. As I have mentioned a few times in this blog, pure orris root smells more like paper to me than the famed 'makeup smell'. In Naiad, the orris has that same dry quality of paper but it is faint, like a whisper. I wish it had less of all the ambery incense and more of the orris root smell. In the dry down it smells like soft incense-y orris root.

Naiad, the third perfume in the amber series (I have not smelt others), is based on water fairy/spirits and it is supposed to smell 'watery'. Well, to me, Naiad doesn't really feel aquatic, but it does give a cool sensation. It is fresh, clean, cold and dry. It is an airy and light but a strong perfume nonetheless. I like the headshop nature of incense/amber here. It is a calming/meditative perfume.

Naiad is nothing like I expected. I bought a full size bottle without even sampling it first because Iris/orris based perfumes are hard to come by in the world of indie perfume oils. I expected an Iris perfume, something like my beloved Infusion d'Iris. Naiad turned out to be a totally different perfume but a lovely one albeit. I think my lust for an incense perfume is satisfied with Naiad. 
Did I mention the wonderful lasting power? Yeah, Naiad is a beauty! 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for your insight Su! I just got a sample of this and I wasn't really sure what I was smelling. The description made me think it was going to be pretty light, airy, and watery, but it wasn't. I will have to try it some more to see if it starts to make sense. On the other hand, from my sample order I really like Tryst of Grey, it sort of reminds me of Prada Tendre. I'm not sure why exactly, but it's quite nice! From all the Alkemia scents I've tried I tend to gravitate towards the ones with tea notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is not quite the watery iris I hoped for either and the incense is strong at first. But the incense somehow worked for me, so all good. Would love to hear your thoughts once you make sense out of the perfume :)
      Wow, I like Prada tendre, so surely checking Tryst Of Grey out! The Persian Tea Room didn't work for me unfortunate.

      Delete
    2. Keep in mind that it might not actually smell anything like Prada Tendre, but that's the association that my mind made with it and now I'm stuck with it! For some reason I've associated several of the Alkemia scents I've tried with mainstream perfumes even though they may not really have anything in common, they just smell more traditionally perfume-y to me, if that makes sense at all. I actually liked Persian Tea Room and Madam Pearl. Tryst of Grey is softer on the tea and made a little brighter with the bergamot and orange blossom (not overwhelmingly citrus though, which made me happy).

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I know what you mean! Tea with honey in tryst of grey sounds great. I got Madam Pearl as free sample and will be trying it soon. I also need to try Persian Tea Room again and see how I like it now.

      Delete
  2. When I noticed that this one had iris in it the cravings started... I haven't satisfied these cravings yet though and as I am no big fan of incense 'll definitely sample first. I have sampled the other amber scents in this series previously... Ardere is gorgeous, bordering on FB worthy, with lots of spices and sweet vanilla and woods to accompany the amber. Terrae has way to much head shop patchouli for me but the drydown is nice with a lovely licorice root note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sample first! I know you like iris and thought of you when I saw this :) It didn't really satisfy my iris craving but it is not a heavy spicy amber perfume at all. It smells like head shop incense which is personally not a bad thing for me :)
      Ardere and terrae both sound lovely but I have a major amber overload phase right now!

      Delete
  3. A "watery amber" sounds really interesting - I can't really imagine it! I don't know how I feel about iris...need to go sniff the Prada favorite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like Prada. It is feminine and light, not floral at all. I can see Larie wearing Infusion d'Iris :) Can't say the same about Naiad though!

      Delete
  4. Aquatic amber? That's unique! Never heard of it before. I have had the opportunity to smell orris or iris root in Germany once. I was expecting a soft powdery scent after reading about it in perfume blogs. But all I could smell was soil. And something metallic.
    This sounds like a very interesting scent, and as always, your description is immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      How lucky you have smelt orris root in real life! I have only smelt the absolute and I agree, it smelt very dry and 'rooty', loveliest smell ever!

      Delete
  5. I haven't smelt an aquatic amber before either! Great review as always Su! You are making me wanting to place an Alkemia order as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Oh, do let me know what you end up getting from Alkemia. So many choices!
      This is my first ever full bottle. I had to edit my order to one bottle only because the shipping for FBs added up to be more than I could afford!

      Delete
  6. This is the first perfume blog I have ever come across!

    Love your descriptions of perfumes and the amazing collection of perfumes you have. Something tells me I can learn a lot about fragrances from you. :)

    Halima

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! Orris root! Aquatic amber! All ruined by too much incense, at least in my imagination, lol. Ohhhh, to roam the continents perfume sniffing with you some day would be a lot of fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you imagines right :D
      Oh, that would be so cool! We should plan something out like that, for reals :)

      Delete