Sunday, May 5, 2013

Birthday!

Yesterday was my birthday, May The Fourth and all. Not too thrilled about it and not too thrilled about life in general. I am going through an uncomfortable phase where there is neither money nor career and lack of stability (constant moving from one place to another) is making me tired and anxious. That is why I haven't been blogging much lately. Instead of focusing on all the things that is making me go nuts, I'll just focus on things that's making me happy.

We went to Scotland for a week, an early birthday present from my husband. It was a wonderful.
I got a few thrifty birthday gifts for myself, some Chanel makeup and Penhaligon's perfume.

I redeemed my Boots points for Chanel makeup, which means I got the foundation for free! I think Vitalumiere Aqua is worth every rave review on the internet. It is light but gives an ideal coverage and a lovely natural finish. I was matched with B50 (I am NW30 in MAC) and it looks like second skin.
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B50
Chanel Les Beiges powder in 40
I also got the limited edition Chanel Les Beiges powder in the shade 40. I think it is something about the undertone that makes it a tad more golden for my skin. I can use it as a very subtle bronzer or for contouring. But it has a nice matte finish, no shimmer, just a glow. It feels so luxurious on my skin. It smells like the perfume Les Beige from Chanel's Exclusif range. It is a lovely honeyed floral, a very soft and gentle smell. I love the packaging too. It is something of a keepsake thing. Perfect gift really.

Chanel Les Beiges Powder
Continuing my thrift journey, I got a 100ml splash bottle of Penhaligon's Ellenisia at the outlet in Bicester Village for a meagre ₤15! Ellenisia is so gorgeous. It is a lush white floral with a prominent and natural tuberose presence. It is so feminine and elegant.

The gift that made me feel the most special was this lovely Dragonfly broach sent to my Nadja (La Domna) and it is handmade by her. I love the delicate gold and black wiring on it. It looks good worn with any outfit. You can buy it from her Etsy store here. Thank you Nadja!
On my last birthday, I wished to go back in time to relive my childhood. That wish really did come true when I visited my parents last year (and I didn't have to travel at the speed of light to the edge of the solar sysytem and back again!). It really felt like my childhood with so much love and care. I wish that this kind of happiness repeats again and again.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry your bday wasn't ideal Su, but Scotland sounds amazing and you got some pretty cool stuff! I've heard raves about the foundation and that broach is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) yeah, in spite of so much going on, I did have a nice time!
      The foundation is amazing but the broach is my favourite!

      Delete
  2. Congrats Su! It is so great that it happened to be your birthday when my package reached you!

    I really neeed some new foundation soon. Just have to find one that is cheap but still with good coverage... My current one, Nivea Ideal Finish, seems to have been discontinued... :( It is just perfect for my needs and the lightest shade is just pale enough, so I'm terribly sad that I can't find it anywhere anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadja! That was an amazing coincidence that your package arrived on my birthday :)
      Have you tried looking at Cheap Smells for Nivea foundation? Not sure if they have your shade right now but they have new stock coming and going. I hope you find something for your skin tone! x

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you're going through a tough season. Rooting for you guys and hoping for the best. I'm glad that you were able to indulge in some nice goodies though! I really want to try those Chanel powders and would if I were working right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I am glad I indulged too because i am not sure if I can afford to in future. I hope you get to try Chanel Powders soon :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday dear Su. I hope this year brings you all kinds of success. I'm sure you will find you calling soon. My nana (grandfather) used to say. Like flowers, give fragrance and grow wherever you're planted. Sounds funny in English but just right when said in Persian :) love that dragonfly brooch. Nadja is indeed very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I am so glad to hear from you! It has been so long since I saw you online. Hope you are well :)
      Thank you for your wishes! I love your Nana's saying! It makes a lot of sense and it is very nice one :)
      And yes, Nadja is so talented!

      Delete
  5. Oh Hunny :( I am so sorry. I am sending you infinite hugs! And don't feel bad about not blogging. I haven't been blogging for the exact same reasons, so I can relate and empathize and, most of all, wish you the best. Things get better eventually, though dealing with financial and career crap can seem like an eternity. I'm here if you ever need to talk- I can PM you my email address on twitter. You deserve only good things, and I'm sorry to hear that hasn't been the case. You are so sweet and always so quick to cheer me up, and for that I'm forever grateful! For what it's worth, I wish you a happy belated birthday- and I'm so very glad you were born and are part of this world.

    Your gifts look so stunning. That dragonfly is beautiful, Nadja is super talented! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel :) This message really cheered me up. Thank you for listening!

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a lovely birthday despite things not feeling on track. Hopefully it's just a phaze. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I really hope it is a phase too but lately it feels like a trend :(

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you had a great birthday, in spite of all the normal life things. Hopefully things pick up soon! Scotland sounds amazing - I have always wanted to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larie! Scotland is a beautiful place, stunning scenery! You should visit sometime :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday gorgeous Su, I'm sending love and happy good vibes for brighter happier times ahead, feel free to email me or DM me anytime if you want to chat xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade! All the love and good vibes received :)
      I will surely DM you x

      Delete