Thursday, May 30, 2013

In Praise Of Bois Farine

Peanut butter, flour, bread dough or is it exquisite woody iris?! Why, oh why did I not fall head over heels in love with Bois Farine when I first tested it? It was a long time ago and at that time Bois Farine struck me as unique but I couldn't appreciate its true beauty. Maybe 1 ml sample is too little to form a real opinion of it? Recently I was casually testing perfumes at L'Artisan shop and carried a tester strip of Bois Farine with me. I came home to find that my handbag was smelling of sandalwood, a really stunning, lovely, soft sandalwood. Next time I had the chance to go to the shop (I'm lying, I made a special trip of 100 odd Ks to get there), I bought a bottle of this beautiful perfume.
I get the renowned peanut butter note from it, yes. But the more I wear the perfume, the less I feel the peanut butter's presence. Now that I have worn it many times, my nose entirely skips the peanut butter note. I love peanut butter (so much so that I've stopped buying it because I finish a jar in 2 days), a comforting smell but I am iffy about smelling of it. The fact that I don't get that note after a few wearings has worked in my favour. The flour note that follows, actually smells like bread dough on me is very lovely and comforting. It is like that well kneaded soft, fluffy dough that is ready to go into the oven. The dough note has hints of the nutty peanuts, with a barely there almond/anisic facet but it all just passes to transform into this lovely powdery iris with accentuated sandalwood. The wonderful dry down: so woody, like dry cedar-y sandalwood, laced with a powdery iris.

Bois Farine has turned out to be my ideal sandalwood perfume, it is dry but warm, woody like real sandalwood with a feminine iris heart. Bois Farine, in spite of the initial nutty beginning, is not a gourmand at all. It is just this beautiful woody-powdery-floral stuff that is so comforting and a real pleasure wear. Thinking of a backup bottle already.

"There is pleasure in recognising old things from a new viewpoint" 
-Richard Feynman

8 comments:

  1. This does sound fabulous!It is on my list of things to sample!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful, feminine but woody, kind of warm, delicate and just lovely :)

      Delete
  2. Peanut butter but not gourmand? Sign me up! Some L'Artisan have begun to surface at the discount store I frequent but I have yet to lay eyes on Bois Farine. Now I shall have to hover the beauty counter like an eagle and swoop at the first opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, if I were you, I'd grab ever bottle! You can't go wrong with L'artisan imo, all perfumes are well made and there is something for everyone.

      Delete
  3. Whaaaaaat. This sounds so weird I think I have to check it out. Have you ever tried D'zing? That's a whacky one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must, it is unique. I've never smelt peanut butter in perfume before :D
      I really want to try Dzing! Next time for sure. I have liked (if not loved) every L'Artisan I have tried. Tea For Two is so good, I want!

      Delete
    2. Okay, so I bought a sample of this from Lucky Scent, like, 10 minutes after reading this review. (I also picked up a sample of D'zing - I really must spring for a full bottle one day.)

      I love it, it's gorgeous, it's gourmand, but I don't get peanut butter. There's definitely a nutty smell to it, though.

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you like it :) Peanut butter was fleeting for me and yes, love the warmth of the woody bread dough note :) I got a back up bottle too.
      Dzing sounds great. If it is leather, count me in! Need to try.

      Delete