Saturday, June 1, 2013

Bond No 9: Central Park West

Central Park West
A legendary, grand-scale address with a grand-scale front yard deserves an eau de parfum to match. A springtime wakeup call: Narcissus mingled with tangy ylang ylang and a pinch of piquant pepper. A beckoning white-petal mélange— orris, jasmine, and linden—and majestic gardenia.
Top notes: narcissus, ylang-ylang and pepper
 middle notes: jasmine, gardenia, lime (linden) blossom and iris 
base notes: vetiver, oak moss, oak and musk.

Prepare your noses for a floral blast! This is a potent white floral. So potent that just a drop of this perfume on the back of my hand is equal 10 sprays from a regular EDP in terms of longevity and silage. Which is a good thing, only if you like the perfume. When I tried it in winter, I found that it was too much. I had put my sample away for a better time to use it. Now that it is spring and I am loving florals, I thought it is a nice time for me to try this one out.

Central Park West begins with a sharp gardenia note. It is strong and coarse. It takes quite a while to settle down. As it progresses, it softens to a nice white floral, dominant gardenia, some ylang and very little sweetness. The narcissus is soapy and the musk is really clean. The theme of  'harsh, clean and soapy' continues but fades into very very powdery florals in the dry down, not quite interesting as the dramatic opening but much more wearable.

The overall effect that Central Park West gives is the opposite of what I would expect in a springtime floral perfume. I love my florals big and soft with some smoothness and some sweetness. But I do like the perfume, sans the harsh opening and uninteresting dry down (what is left of it fleetingly somewhere in between to like). 

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Sounds quite strong and soapy. I'm not really partial to squeaky clean soapy scents. Nice that the dry down is quite smooth and mellow.
    Hey su do u have a sample of Bond no.9 new Harlem. If yes. Plz review it. I have my eye on it. Would love to get a coffee fragrance but I'm not sure if the coffee is the dominant note in new Harlem. No testers available either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling you may like this one :)
      I don't have New Harlem with me right now but from memory it is a really smooth warm coffee but also has patchouli in it. I think you get samples (bon bons) that you can order over from eBay. I know it is hard to get it shipped there but Bond No 9s are expensive to blind buy. Other things worth looking at: Haus Of Gloi Vice (choc & coffee), Ayala Morial Finjan (turkish coffee!), Ava Luxe Cafe Noir.

      Delete
  2. Thought I had this sample and was going to sniff along, but nope. I'm not a big fan of white florals to begin with and this one sounds all wrong, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strong stuff but it would be nice to try, esp if you have the sample. You know, just for fun :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh I like the sound of powdery florals! And it sounds quite potent. Really need to try this out!

    Halima

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it out! You will like it if you like florals. It is very long lasting too :)

      Delete
  4. I've never really gotten into the Bond perfumes. I used to sniff them and test them all the time in DJ (although every time I went near them one of their staff pounced on me so I never got to have a really good go at them), and the ones I tried were just, "Eh". They're okay but definitely not worth the hefty price tag, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How rude of staff at DJ :( I agree, it is overpriced and overhyped. A few years ago, they were clearing out Bond No9 stuff at DJs Adelaide and I picked up a couple of bottles which I thought was a bargain. I loved one of them and the other was really blah. If I am paying that much, it better be one of kind which I doubt about Bond NO9s!

      Delete