Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Spiritual Sky Musk & African Violet

Musk by Spiritual Sky
This musk perfume oil is an embodiment of hippie culture, like 'head shop' in a bottle! Nevertheless, it is well bended and balanced enough to pass off as an expensive perfume. It starts with a sweet amber note, warm and sensuous. Spices follow. Spices smell indistinct, somewhat like the spice remnants of an old wooden spice box. It is old, dusty, dry and nothing sharp. The Musk in it is a warm one, that gels well with the soft ambery spices. The musk is not animalic, not clean, not skin-like, just warm musk. The whole thing smells like incense sticks. Not pure frankincense but those incense sticks they burn in hippie shops. I like this as a smell but don't prefer to wear it as a perfume. Staying power is awesome. I think it could be a cozy autumn/winter perfume, if amber/musk is your thing.

African Violet by Spirtual Sky
This is beautiful. It smells like Parma Violets, sweet and powdery. Powdery, as in floral, young, bright powdery, not as in heavy, artificial powder. I don't think it is a true violet perfume because I can't smell the green/dewy fresh violet leaf aspect or the delicate smell of the flower (to experience which I just take a sniff of my Guerlain Meteorites powder!). It is that smell of edible violet candy and it is a beautiful smell. Easy to wear, makes me feel pretty and girly. It is a comforting smell. The staying power is not as great as the musk but lasts a good few hours.
I love the colour of the perfume oil. It is so... violet! It reminds me of Gentian Violet and Haematoxylin pencils. Not to wear with white clothes.

Bought both at local bath and body shop at $10.95 each

PS: I'm back in Australia! I'm on Instagram!

14 comments:

  1. Yay! I love your reviews! Now I have to sniff those meteorites to understand what everyone means by the violet smell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the smell of Meteorites! It's like typical makeup smell but with powdery delicate violets :) If you find violet patilles in a sweet shop, try it. It is like eating perfumed candy!

      Delete
  2. Hi Su!!! So glad to read your reviews again:)
    These perfumes sound interesting and quite cheap too.
    I especially love the violet colour that the last one has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amanda! Long time, hope you are well :)
      I also love the violet colour, so pretty. The perfumes are good too. There are a dozen varieties. The brand is a cult favourite.

      Delete
  3. I love the scent of Guerlain makeup, haha, and although I thought before that I hated violet scents, they are growing on me. I think I'm particular of the blend, but sometimes they are lovely. Or femme fatale, like TF Violet Blonde! (LOL almost typed "Violent Blonde.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I need to revisit Violet Blonde! I am just scared I'll love it :D Balenciaga Paris also smells of Violets.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back to blogging Su! It's nice to hear from you again!

    I love the look of these bottles and that violet juice looks awesome! But I don't think either scent is for me... One too head shop and one too feminine... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadja! Hope you are well :)
      I agree, they are poles apart and I don't think you'll like violet perfume at all. You may find the musk likeable because it has that dry dusty feel. You never know :)

      Delete
  5. Hahaha my mum used to cover us in Gentian Violet when we were little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that's such a pretty colour though! I might have spoilt it for many with the gentian violet reference!

      Delete
  6. Su, you have an incredible way of describing perfumes. I love violets at the moment, I want everything to smell of violets. But I want my greeness with my sugared flowers. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! If you love green violets, do try Tom Ford's Violet Blonde or Belanciaga Paris :)

      Delete
  7. Aww it's good to have you back in blog land, I missed your posts, Su! I agree with eatpaintsniffglu, you do have an incredible way of describing perfume! I think both of these perfumes sound lovely. I love the bottles and I adore the color of African Violet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I hope to blog more often now that i've settled :)
      Violet/purple is my fave colour!

      Delete