Thursday, October 3, 2013

Dries Van Noten Par Frederic Malle

I tried this for the first time in Liberty London, knowing nothing about the notes which in my opinion is the best way to test a perfume. All I remember is the initial saffron hit and a really lovely sandalwood trail. The very first whiff calmed me down and made me happy. Thanks to Liz for this generous sample, now I can experience the same bliss at home! Read Liz's review Here


Dries Van Noten is a deep and introspective perfume, both qualities I attribute to sandalwood. I think the perfume is all about sandalwood, the kind of sandalwood I know and love. I am from around the city of Mysore, so believe me when I say this sandalwood is good! I associate this kind of sandalwood with everything pure and sacred, hence the calming effect of the perfume.

The perfume begins with Saffron diffused in cream. Delightful! It is dense, rich and very comforting. The cream is unsweetened and light but delicious. Saffron really stands out and it is very realistic and delicate. At this point, due to saffron and cream, I feel a 'Kulfi' coming along but it goes nowhere near the edible smell territory due to the progression of the perfume into sandalwood: beautiful, simple and elegant. It comes with a smooth, creamy, balsamic, powdery element that compliments the sandalwood well. There is a flash of nutmeg in there somewhere. The woodyness is enhanced by a stark cedar/guaiac wood, feels a bit synthetic but its lightness makes me think of vetiver. The dry down is all sandalwood, a little earthy, really warm and hearty.

This perfume is enjoyable to wear. In spite of its gourmandish beginning, it stays true to sandalwood throughout but carries the velvety smoothness of cream throughout. It has moderate sillage and 2 sprays will last for hours on my skin and even days on clothes. You can get 3 x10 ml refills for $130, the cheapest option but that should last you quite a while given its tremendous staying power.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds so pretty, Su! I agree that Sandalwood has a calming effect. I think it has been used in the past for that very reason :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love sandalwood! I rarely get the feeling of calmness in the kind of sandalwod used in perfumes but this is so good :)

      Delete
  2. oooer, i love sandalwood. think I'm going to have to find some of this, terrible pity that winter is on it's way out :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! It is described as an Autumn scent but I don't see why it can't be worn in warmer weather.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this sounds divine, hun. Your blog inspires me, a great read, but a very costly one sometimes, miss enabler! I would like to nominate you for the Inspired Blog Award xx
    http://indieanna1.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/the-inspired-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww Michelle! Thank you :) Will check it out x

      Delete